free website stats program 08 RG Ignition wires | Harley Davidson Forums

08 RG Ignition wires

This may sound stupid, but I am replacing the ignition wires and the coil is under tank. I can see it but hard to get to. Does anyone have a trick to replacing these? Or am I just gonna have to suck it up and take the tank off just to replace wires?

Pull the front tank bolt out and raise the tank gently not too high and support it.

I removed front and rear bolts carefully raised tank slid a piece of 2x4 under to hold up the tank to reach clip the wires run thru

I use a piece of plywood that I cut on a taper from 2" to about 6" and about 6" long. That way I can slide it under and get any height that I want without using a 2x4 and shimming it up
kemo

Why are you replaceing them , are they shorting out or are you upgradeing the wires ?? I have almost 30K on my bike and the wires work fine .

Pull the front tank bolt out and raise the tank gently not too high and support it.

Jack has the right idea, the other is to do so with the tank nearly empty...as each gallon of gas is almost 7 pounds, so 30 lbs of sloshing flammable fluid is not that easy to move up and down. And don't forget to depressurize the fuel lines on EFI equipped rides by pulling the fuse or relay running the bike till out of fuel, then pull the main fuse. You do not want to spring a leak with 50 PSI of fuel AND working on the electrics...:bigsmiley18:

Also, don't forget to drop a cover (clean towel/cloth) over your tank to protect it - in case you accidentally lift it into the bars, fairing, etc. Keeps from having to use the touch-up paint...

The rfeason for replacing is strictly an upgrade. Nothing wrong with the stock but I am partial to the thundervolt 10 mm wires. Thanks guys! was able to lift tank far enough with out doing any damage. Wires on and working fine!

Back