free website stats program 08 Nightrod special airbox question. | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Nightrod special airbox question.

monnim01

Hey Guys,
About 2 months ago I bought an 08 Nightrod special and I must say this bike has the goods...Awesome performance and a whole heap of the wow factor.
The bike came with a CFR exhaust, and this thing was just ridiculously loud. I am not a "quiet bike" guy but this thing made my ears ring just going around the block.
So I took the pipe off and put the standard back on and the bike sounds like a Vespa.
I have put six holes on each of the baffle backs and havent put the exhaust caps back on and the bike sounds a heap better.
I am putting the bike in to get re mapped to the exhaust next week, but am wondering what the process is for making the air cleaner "topless".
I understand the removal of the top of the air box, but what do I do with the sensor fitted to the airbox top?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Chris:)

CFR nice pipe is a bit loud though, but nice lite compared to the stock setup as far as weight is concerned, I mention this all the time because the biggest problem for Vrods is the sheer weight of them you get more gains from knocking weight off the Vrod then stage one add on. as far as running topless just remove the top lid and relocate the sensor on the bottom portion of the box , as far as HP you will get 2 hp at best by doing so, the other thing you will here a lot more noise from the injectors and throttle bodies, most guys dont like all the noise and go back to the top or do a semi by cutting off the snorkle and just triming the front portion off.enjoy your new ride

-------------------------------------------

sorry got caught up and forgot to add Harley davidson makes the sensor relocation kit you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Crocker,
I just cut the snorkel off and I have noticed a huge reduction in the sucking sound and the exhaust note seems to sound a little deeper....? I am having the bike dyno'd and tuned to the mods next Friday, but so far I am really happy with the low cost mods I have made.
The bike sounds great with the standard pipes, you are right about the weight though...
Cheers
Chris

Yea semi topless is wey to go , if you look on the inside of the lid you can cut awey 2 more sections in the front of the lid just leave the bridge ing follow the square.dremmel tool works well it will give you a nice clean cut ,this will open it up for you and thats about all the air that plenium (airbox )can take anywey ,no sense in going topless and the chatter the from the throttle bodies sounds like the bike is sucking in graval very annoying sound. You should see 6-8 hp gains with the moded stock mufflers.with not much loss on the low, that CFR would give you 10-12 with good tune , but you do lose on the low end with the CFR pipe but top end is nice .

Back