free website stats program 08 Night Train Exhaust leak after drop ?? Video attached | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Night Train Exhaust leak after drop ?? Video attached

Looks like the one I have is pretty opened up, I cant seem to slide it into its place...
I'm gonna pick up a new split ring tomorrow just to make sure. also gonna make sure the flange is not warped either.

Thanks alot !!! :s

Looks like the one I have is pretty opened up, I cant seem to slide it into its place...
I'm gonna pick up a new split ring tomorrow just to make sure. also gonna make sure the flange is not warped either.

Thanks alot !!! :s

Can you compress the split ring into the groove in the flange? If so, that ring will probably work. Doesn't matter what it looks like or that it is opened up some as long as you can compress it so that it snaps into the flange.

TQ

its nice if it is flush but as long as it stops the flange slipping over the pipe its good to go.
i could not tell from the pic very well but there might be another gasket in the port as it looked like they edge was very spiky, if there is another in there that would need removal also

SE22 - what Rob was referring was in this picture, it looks like traces of a second gasket or left over material from the first is in the gasket seating area. You probably have it covered, but just make sure it is clean before fitting new gasket in using an wooden popsicle stick to seat to the mating surface. :33:

I managed to get the split ring into the flange. I'm not sure what its supposed to look like though. I managed to get the ring in there but it wasnt easy. The ring still has a gap between the split tips of the ring. Does this look right ?

Attachments

• P5030056.jpg
    P5030056.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P5030057.jpg
    P5030057.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 12
  • P5030058.jpg
    P5030058.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 11
  • P5030059.jpg
    P5030059.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 13
  • P5030060.jpg
    P5030060.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 13
I managed to get the split ring into the flange. I'm not sure what its supposed to look like though. I managed to get the ring in there but it wasnt easy. The ring still has a gap between the split tips of the ring. Does this look right ?

Looks great. I think you will see that the flange now presses the pipe against the crush gasket MUCH more effectively providing a positive seal.

TQ

quick update. I woke up earlier than usual today, and I decided I had enough time to put the exhaust on before going to work. (It was gonna kill me to go through the whole day without knowing) :D

I made sure everything was lined up and torqued down all the bolts evenly as per the HD manual.
Started her up and she purred like a kitten !!!:ap:ap:ap. Although I didnt let it idle for more than a few seconds, I didnt hear any leaks.

Due to the mishap I had with the oil there other day, I decided to leave the oil draining, this way I know how much oil is going in this time.:small3d007:

Thanks again everyone for your help. I will keep you guys up to date with how it turns out after the oil change . :breakdance:breakdance:breakdance

quick update. I woke up earlier than usual today, and I decided I had enough time to put the exhaust on before going to work. (It was gonna kill me to go through the whole day without knowing) :D

I made sure everything was lined up and torqued down all the bolts evenly as per the HD manual.
Started her up and she purred like a kitten !!!:ap:ap:ap. Although I didnt let it idle for more than a few seconds, I didnt hear any leaks.

Due to the mishap I had with the oil there other day, I decided to leave the oil draining, this way I know how much oil is going in this time.:small3d007:

Thanks again everyone for your help. I will keep you guys up to date with how it turns out after the oil change . :breakdance:breakdance:breakdance

Don't forget to put the oil back in before riding it.:s

This may interest you with the oil change.

Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

Back