free website stats program 08 Night Train Exhaust leak after drop ?? Video attached | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Night Train Exhaust leak after drop ?? Video attached

A buddy of mine dropped his bike and now he is having a weird ticking kinda noise coming from his engine. From what I noticed, The front exhaust flange/pipe is shifted over to one and is not centered as it should be. I put my hand near the exhaust while idling and could feel some puffing from that area. I didnt have a chance to remove the exhaust tonight as I told him we should pick up some new gaskets tomorrow. After a few minutes of the bike running, you start to get a little smoke coming from that area also. Im thinking the exhaust just needs to be removed and reinstalled in its proper location. Any suggestions ?? thanks

YouTube - 08 Night Train Exhaust Leak

Might want to pick up a couple of studs too...might be bent, hopefully he didn't pull some threads in the head

Might want to pick up a couple of studs too...might be bent, hopefully he didn't pull some threads in the head

Ouch! Hope not. That is a real chore and I am not sure even practical with the head on the engine. Might have enough room to get in there, but if will be tough. I have never done that with the engine/head mounted on the bike.

Looking at what we see in the video (great tool for others to try and help, BTW!!), I don't see enough damage to be that worried about the studs. Will be more obvious once the pipe is out of the way. But the first question is, you guys did try snugging up the nuts to see if you could re-seal the pipe to the exhaust port? If that did not work, I am afraid that you will have to take the pipe off and replace the gasket and resecure/align everything back with new crush gaskets.

TQ

yes, the first thing we did was snug up the bolts again as they seemed to only be hand tight. and it might of gotten just a little better, but was still hissing and ticking through there. enough where i could still feel the puffs.

Ouch! Hope not. That is a real chore and I am not sure even practical with the head on the engine. Might have enough room to get in there, but if will be tough. I have never done that with the engine/head mounted on the bike.

Looking at what we see in the video (great tool for others to try and help, BTW!!), I don't see enough damage to be that worried about the studs. Will be more obvious once the pipe is out of the way. But the first question is, you guys did try snugging up the nuts to see if you could re-seal the pipe to the exhaust port? If that did not work, I am afraid that you will have to take the pipe off and replace the gasket and resecure/align everything back with new crush gaskets.

TQ

More than likely from the hit, the gasket got compressed on one side and is leaking on the other side as a result. Should be OK with a new gasket.

Yeah hopefully thats it...but the studs are cheap and could save an extra trip if you find pulled threads on the stud...how much play is there in the exhaust flanges when they're torqued down, I was thinking something had to give for the headpipe to move.

im thinking the bolts are fine also. the drop wasnt that bad. Anyways what would the bolts look like if they had pulled threads ??

They'd looked stripped, didn't want to scare you just save a trip...glider is most likely correct again...he usually is.

Yeah hopefully thats it...but the studs are cheap and could save an extra trip if you find pulled threads on the stud...how much play is there in the exhaust flanges when they're torqued down, I was thinking something had to give for the headpipe to move.

There's quite a bit of difference in the diameter of the pipe verses the opening in the exhaust flange. Very possible no damage at all to the studs or head and only the gasket is compromised.

im guessing on the head side, the other side seem just fine. on gonna swing by the dealer and pick a few gaskets. Hope its only that. Im gonna have to bring most of the exhaust off huh ?

They'd looked stripped, didn't want to scare you just save a trip...glider is most likely correct again...he usually is.

thanks glider, thats kinda what I noticed also, the flange has a bit of an oval so that it could adjust better. hopefully that it. thanks guys.
There's quite a bit of difference in the diameter of the pipe verses the opening in the exhaust flange. Very possible no damage at all to the studs or head and only the gasket is compromised.

Back