free website stats program 08 models | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 models

Have you been running with the lowers on it? Makes a noted difference.

I was wondering about that. I don't use the lowers for storage or anything but I notice they do a good job of keeping the bugs off you as they are always covered with them. I actually hate the lowers and I will definately be taking them off if this will make an improved difference in regards to heat. I think the only time I actually did like them was when it was 20 degrees out.

I have a set of the soft lowers for mine. They are easy on or off in a few seconds. Like you, I don't like that 20* temps on my legs but they do work and above 50* they are not supposed to be used.

I have a modified 08 FLHT and I love it. Runs a little warm but not bad a lot better since I put on the true duels and got the pipe out from under my right leg. Mods:

110 jugs and SE ported heads
high lift cams
Stage 11 Intake
True duels headers (V & H)
Rush slipons
SERT
Oil Cooler
high compression pistons 10.5 : 1
these are just the ones i remember off hand. It does go into "Parade" mode in prolonged stop and go driving.

08 FXDC here. No problems at all, but I can't stop fiddling with it so I've added here, subtracted there, IED's, Stage I, etc. Love it.

I have a modified 08 FLHT and I love it. Runs a little warm but not bad a lot better since I put on the true duels and got the pipe out from under my right leg.
. It does go into "Parade" mode in prolonged stop and go driving.

Why not buy a cooling fan from Lenale Engineering?It's shaped like the Screamin' Eagle air cover and puts out a prodigious ammount of air.Over here in Queensland it gets pretty hot in summer and we've got one each on our 2008 FLSTF and FLSTN.Works goodly.
Easy to instal,half the size of the H-D unit and looks good to boot.:yes

2008 FLHX with 2,000 miles and no issues at all so far. Might be splitting hairs here but these bikes do not overheat (seen this word used occasionally), they run hot due to EPA requirements. It's all a matter of opinion but I've ridden several times in over 90 degree temps and yes, you feel the heat on your legs, but it's not so bad that I'm going to rush out and spend big bucks to change things. Then again, I always wear jeans when I ride - I wonder how many folks complaining about their thighs melting off are riding around in shorts!

There have been some individuals who have encountered problems with the electronic throttle and/or cruise control. those seem to be the major problem areas on the 08's. A forum search will give you lots to read about.

2008 FLHX with 2,000 miles and no issues at all so far. Might be splitting hairs here but these bikes do not overheat (seen this word used occasionally), they run hot due to EPA requirements. It's all a matter of opinion but I've ridden several times in over 90 degree temps and yes, you feel the heat on your legs, but it's not so bad that I'm going to rush out and spend big bucks to change things. Then again, I always wear jeans when I ride - I wonder how many folks complaining about their thighs melting off are riding around in shorts!

There have been some individuals who have encountered problems with the electronic throttle and/or cruise control. those seem to be the major problem areas on the 08's. A forum search will give you lots to read about.

I think they "Overheat"! I have had my 08 with 4000 miles on it go into parade mode when sitting in traffic and then when trying to drive away up hill, bike had almost no throttle response and ran bad till engine cooled down. I just took lowers off and am putting on new Ergo Plus Crash bars. I hope it runs cooler with lowers removed. If not, Fan will be next.

Oh and I always dress to ride - no shorts or flip flops here.:D

I think they "Overheat"! I have had my 08 with 4000 miles on it go into parade mode when sitting in traffic and then when trying to drive away up hill, bike had almost no throttle response and ran bad till engine cooled down. I just took lowers off and am putting on new Ergo Plus Crash bars. I hope it runs cooler with lowers removed. If not, Fan will be next.

Oh and I always dress to ride - no shorts or flip flops here.:D

hard to believe the lowers alone could make that much difference, but, who knows! Let us know if it improves. I guess I'm just lucky, been sitting in traffic at temps in the low 90's and never had what you described happen to me - yet, I hope!!

I wonder what H-D has to say about operating temps? All engines, motors, compressors, etc., have operating temps and then (in my world) what is referred to as critical temp. An example is an electric motor. It may be so hot you can't put your hand on it but still be within operating temp. So, I wonder if your scooter is actually 'overheated' or just doing it's thang?

I also have a Lenale fan installed. I can not say that it does much at this point. It just has not been hot enought to give it a fair test.
I am keeping the heat gun on the bike and check it often, when I have given it a fair chance I wil post results.
The idea is sound but I am not sure it can move enought air to really drop temps?
It does look ok on the bike. easy to install and seems to be well made. I mounted it during the winter. I had to get rid of the horn that came with it and come up with my own horn theirs just was not right for a Hd more like a moped.
While I am not worried that my bike will melt down I do look for ways to lower temps when in paradies.
The switch to a true 100% sny oil did do some good and I sleep better knowing it can take the temps better than sny3 or normal oils.
I went with M1VTWIn but there are a lot of good ones around.
fan5.jpg

Yep,i agree.I've got synthetic oils in my brand new Deluxe and also have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler fitted.Before i made the decision to drop what's been AUD$40k on a bike,i read and researched and listened to lots of happy and not so happy H-D owners on the heat issues.
I have to say i've been pleasantly surprised to discover that they aint,in point of fact,all that hot.My liquid-cooled 595 seems to waft as much hot air as my H-D.Perhaps between the fan,the oil cooler and synthetic oils;plus the fact i always ride in long pants/proper attire could explain why it's not a huge issue for me.I also have in waiting a set of slip ons,a J.E.T Airstack and a Thundermax and Autotune ,which should help things even more.

Back