free website stats program 08 LR front forks | Harley Davidson Forums

08 LR front forks

DadzLowrider

I had a chrome front end installed on my bike by the dealer. It seems (and this maybe my imagination) that ever since it was done my suspension bottoms out easier. I way about 225lbs, should the front end bottom out when pulling into a driveway? Is there oil in the forks or just springs? I am thinking if there is oil maybe they didn't put the right grade back in?

There's oil and springs. Possible they put the wrong amount or the wrong weight in there and that's what you are feeling. Look on the bill of sale for the job and see what they list as far as the weight of the oil.

Take it back to them and have them check it over.

There's oil and springs. Possible they put the wrong amount or the wrong weight in there and that's what you are feeling. Look on the bill of sale for the job and see what they list as far as the weight of the oil.

Take it back to them and have them check it over.

The receipt says fork oil type "E", quantity of 4. It also seems if the bike sits overnight when I go to move it for the first time the front end will "sink" about an inch. I asked them to check it during my 1000 mile service and they say it is fine, but I don't think it is.

I think you should check on the quantity. FOUR is too many, it shouldn't take more than TWO to service the front end.

"E" is 5 wt and the lightest oil they use. "B" would have been better but the quantity is what I would question. It sounds like it is overfull.

I think you should check on the quantity. FOUR is too many, it shouldn't take more than TWO to service the front end.

"E" is 5 wt and the lightest oil they use. "B" would have been better but the quantity is what I would question. It sounds like it is overfull.

Thanks Glider. I will call them tomorrow and ask.

Your bike should take approximately 29.6 ounces per tube. They would have to use a good part of four 16 ounce containers to properly filled the assembly.

The correct amount of fluid is not determined by volume. It is determined by measuring the distance from the top of the fluid level to the top of the tube. On your bike, the fluid level should be 4.3 inches from the top of the tube when the assembly is fully compressed and the spring and spacer is not in the assembly. In correct fluids amounts can drastically affect proper dampening in the front end.

If you forks are leaking down overnight, it could be a leak. It could also be that the dealer did not purge the assembly properly. After fluid has been added, they should have fully expanded and collapsed the assembly 8 - 10 times to purge out any air, and allowed those voidsto fill with fluid. Once purged, they should have rechecked fluid level.

Sounds like you got a shotty installed.

Your bike should take approximately 29.6 ounces per tube. They would have to use a good part of four 16 ounce containers to properly filled the assembly.

The correct amount of fluid is not determined by volume. It is determined by measuring the distance from the top of the fluid level to the top of the tube. On your bike, the fluid level should be 4.3 inches from the top of the tube when the assembly is fully compressed and the spring and spacer is not in the assembly. In correct fluids amounts can drastically affect proper dampening in the front end.

If you forks are leaking down overnight, it could be a leak. It could also be that the dealer did not purge the assembly properly. After fluid has been added, they should have fully expanded and collapsed the assembly 8 - 10 times to purge out any air, and allowed those voidsto fill with fluid. Once purged, they should have rechecked fluid level.

Sounds like you got a shotty installed.

As always, thanks for the great info. I would assume if it were a leak I would see oil? That was the first thing I checked. I assumed it was not properly bled/purged. I am bringing the bike in this week to have some other work done so I will have them add the 15 weight oil and see how that does, I would assume that and a proper purge will make a big change.

P.S. I got my tins from our guy in TN. You were 100% correct about his work, he did an excellent job. I am waiting for some parts to come in now so I can switch them over.

DadzLowrider

Sorry for the bad info. Do you by chance have the 49MM forks?

JM, thanks for the correction too.

I am bringing the bike in this week to have some other work done so I will have them add the 15 weight oil and see how that does, I would assume that and a proper purge will make a big change.

The heavier weight oil will help with front end performance.

Doing the fork oil change isn't that hard or time consuming. I would recommend you do it yourself. That way you know its done right. It would take less than an hour to do when you are changing out your tins.

It just drives me nuts to think that I'm paying some slacker $80-100 an hour to do sub-standard work. Even worse is paying that rate for them to redo work I already paid for.

Back