free website stats program 08 leftover road glide pipe question | Harley Davidson Forums

08 leftover road glide pipe question

I just traded in my duece for an 08 anniv edition road glide. I love the bike! But I went from custom and loud back to completely stock. It is the bezst thing I have ever done for my wife and me! She loves it. I however have issues with the stock pipes. I dont have the cash right now to buy stage 1, air filter and slip ons. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give it a little more growl without gettin all 3 things? I will eventually do all three, but for now I have to either live with it quiet or, with your suggestions, maybe do a little modify to existing? My old bike was not equipped with the sofistication of todays systems and pipes, ie 02 sensors and such. Any help would be appreciated!

If I can get some more growl without harming anything, I would be forever indebted to you guys! If I cant, then I will get a part time job to get some upgrades! HAHA. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• sweet.jpg
    sweet.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 29
Id do the slip ons 1rst as this wont require a tuner right away.Once you add the stage 1 air filter set up it is recomended you add a tuner or TFI.
I saw a post by Glider stating Hooker slip ons were being discontinued and could be had at bargain prices.I have Hookers myself and am very happy with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! So let me clarify.... If I just put some slip ons right now, I would NOT have to do anything else until I can do stage 1 upgrade? I can put slip ons on without risking damage? That would be awesome!

Correctamundo 08roadglider...enjoy the slip-ons...real trick is to find ones you like, go to plenty of HD events and ask rider of ones you like how they were to fit and satisfaction level.

I moved up from a loud Sportster with all baffles removed in the factory mufflers to a stock RK with drilled baffles. Likewise I really enjoy being able to talk to the wife without screaming at each other.

If you are truly cash strapped take a peek into the stock mufflers. You should be able to see the rearmost baffle 6” to 8” behind the outlet. Take a drill with long bit and swiss cheese it. Won't even have to remove the mufflers.

Keep drilling the baffles to make it incrementally louder, and when finances allow then pay for new pipes. My bet is that you will keep the drilled stockers.

Last edited:
I moved up from a loud Sportster with all baffles removed in the factory mufflers to a stock RK with drilled baffles. Likewise I really enjoy being able to talk to the wife without screaming at each other.

If you are truly cash strapped take a peek into the stock mufflers. You should be able to see the rearmost baffle 6” to 8” behind the outlet. Take a drill with long bit and swiss cheese it. Won't even have to remove the mufflers.

Keep drilling the baffles to make it incrementally louder, and when finances allow then pay for new pipes. My bet is that you will keep the drilled stockers.

Hopefully you have a extra set of stock muffs w/ baffles around!

Drilling out the rear baffles will not have any harm, and will have negligible benefit on engine performance. I believe there are three baffles total in each muffler.

I drilled only the rearmost baffle on my 2001 RK and it barely made a discernable change in the exhaust volume, but it did deepen the tone. I personally like a quiet bike so will not touch the forward baffles.

Drilling out the rear baffles will not have any harm, and will have negligible benefit on engine performance. I believe there are three baffles total in each muffler.

I drilled only the rearmost baffle on my 2001 RK and it barely made a discernable change in the exhaust volume, but it did deepen the tone. I personally like a quiet bike so will not touch the forward baffles.
On most of the touring bike stock mufflers, the baffeles are pinched causing the flow to enter the muffler chamber and redirect into the exhaust tube and can't be drilled effectivly. Try a cheap, good set of slip ons like Wild Pigs for dressers. They run about $200 on e-bay motors. They work well and look good but they skimp on chrome and they don't stay nice for more than a couple of years.

Back