free website stats program 08 Heritage Steering Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Heritage Steering Problem

Stroker, When you say broken pinch bolt, do you mean the bolt breaks right at the "gap" area and the Torx head falls out and is missing? Or did you have to apply wrench force to the bolts in order to find it to be broken. Any trouble getting the remaining piece removed from the tree assembly?

Yes breaks at the gap.
My brother in laws was obvious as the bolt head was gone and the fact that he hit a huge pot hole just before he noticed the wobble but my buddies heritage wasn't so obvious as the head was still there, the bolt was broke most or all of the way through but somethng kept it there, as soon as we put a wrench on it it came out. He dealt with getting the peice out, he said it was not bad, he just drilled the centre and used an easy out.

My 08 Heritage has a wobble when I get around 40MPH or so. That's when it's most pronounced, but I can feel it at higher speeds also. The dealer tried changing the tire, then the rim. It seemed better for a while, but now it's back. I have sort of checked to make sure the spokes were all tight, but I don't have a spoke wrench. I tapped on each spoke with a small crescent wrench and got a nice tone out of each one. Any ideas of what I could check next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 08 was doing the same thing. I tried the fall away adjustment but could never get consistent results. I ended up just tightening up the top nut a bit (when the bike was off the ground I could feel a bit of play in the tree). Its a lot better now but I still feel a bit of wobble around 40mph. I'm going to change the fork oil when I get some time (I have just over 21K on it). If I still feel the wobble after that I'm going go try tightening up the top nut a bit more.

Back