free website stats program 08 Heritage rear Shock adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Heritage rear Shock adjustment

bcortani

I looked in self help, and still can't find the answer...trying to readjust the rear shocks. the cans turn and I can not get the jam nut to loosen away from the adjuster plate so i can adjust them down. I did not jack up the bike, but put her up on 4x8 blocks to give me clearance to turn my wrench, but the cans just spin. I can't fit the crescent and the spanner in there at the same time to break the jam nut loose as the space is too narrow...any suggestions? Thanks. bcortani.:D

Do you have the shock tool? It's pretty thin and that's what you might need to get the job done. Just my .02.

I have the HD spanner wrench/shock tool. It has the open end for the jam nut and the spanner for the adjust plate. Problem is no matter which I use the whole can spins. Might need a second spanner tool to work with I suppose. Just hate buying another 10.00 tool for a one time adjustment...lol

I believe it is ok for the cans to turn while making the adjustment. As for the lock nut, any way you can grab the outside of the can with a strap wrench or similar tool and loosen the lock nut?

Haven't tried a strap wrench yet, good idea. will run down to hardware store and see if they have what I need...

bc, found something that should help adjust the rear shocks. I went out to adjust mine a bit ago and could not get the lock nut loose either. Upon further inspection I found that there are 2 flat spots just ahead of the lock nut on the main shock bolt that will allow you to hold it in place with a 9/16" open end wrench. Here are a couple pics showing with and with the wrench on the shock bolt.

Attachments

• shock bolt.jpg
    shock bolt.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 480
  • shock bolt II.jpg
    shock bolt II.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 164
I looked in self help, and still can't find the answer...trying to readjust the rear shocks. the cans turn and I can not get the jam nut to loosen away from the adjuster plate so i can adjust them down. I did not jack up the bike, but put her up on 4x8 blocks to give me clearance to turn my wrench, but the cans just spin. I can't fit the crescent and the spanner in there at the same time to break the jam nut loose as the space is too narrow...any suggestions? Thanks. bcortani.:D

Mine were tighter than a witch's... well, you get the idea - LOL!

Get the Harley tool. Use it to hold the can in place by putting the pins on the tool into the holes on the can (when you get the tool, you'll see it immediately). Then, holding the can stiff, use a crescent or open-end wrench to loosen the nut.

It'll come loose. Just work on it.

The adjustment (I'm at 1 1/2 turns) is worth all the trouble you're going thru...

bc, found something that should help adjust the rear shocks. I went out to adjust mine a bit ago and could not get the lock nut loose either. Upon further inspection I found that there are 2 flat spots just ahead of the lock nut on the main shock bolt that will allow you to hold it in place with a 9/16" open end wrench. Here are a couple pics showing with and with the wrench on the shock bolt.

Mine were tighter than a witch's... well, you get the idea - LOL!

Get the Harley tool. Use it to hold the can in place by putting the pins on the tool into the holes on the can (when you get the tool, you'll see it immediately). Then, holding the can stiff, use a crescent or open-end wrench to loosen the nut.

It'll come loose. Just work on it.

The adjustment (I'm at 1 1/2 turns) is worth all the trouble you're going thru...

You guys are both awesome!! I did try to work my crescent in the gap with the adjustment tool in the holes, no room, but the 9/16 is a great suggestion too. I am now leaving my keyboard and going out tothe garage...this is me leaving...

Got it!! Now, It would not turn any further clock wise...or towards the rear wheel, seemed like it was fully adjusted out...so I did two turns foward on each...will that make the ride softer or stiffer? I am trying to make a softer ride...I am 5-08 and 180 +/-... It also decreased the clearance between the front of the shock and the mounting bracket. I love learning this stuff, but my curve is a bit slower then most...lol:newsmile061:

I played with my adjustment on the rear shocks and each one made quite a bit of difference in ride and handling. I do remember that the adjustment is backwards from what it would seem correct. Be sure to have the same amount of threads showing on both sides. I believe that one turn on the can equals one thread. As stated above it is worth the effort.

Back