free website stats program 08 FXDC Over Heating | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 FXDC Over Heating

Hey all. My scooter seems to be real hot. i have a few folks i know saying that thiers dont get as hot as mine dose.
I only ride 15miles a day to and from work and when i come home in the Eve. when the heat of the day is starting to kool off (around 6:00pm) here in San Antonio i dont think it ever kools off completly.
But it is still around 80 deg. the scooter after i get home i put a fan on it to help cool it off some. But it still takes over a hour to get it cooled off enough to touch with your hand.

I do sit in some traffic but not for all that long. but it is starting to burn my leg on the pipes threw my jeans. while im riding with my feet on the HWY pegs.

not cherry red but i would bet it is close.

So any help would be nice

Do a search for XIED on this or other HD forums. They are a resistor (I think) between the O2 sensor and the ECM that fools the ECM into richening up the air/fuel ratio. The reason your engine is hot is because it has been programmed to run lean to meet EPA standards. I just put a set of XIED's on my '08 Street Glide over the weekend and for me the excessive heat issue has gone away. There is still heat coming from the engine, after all it is air cooled and it is supposed to radiate heat, but these little cheater wires have made my bike enjoyable to ride.

I still scratch my head in wonder as to why HD never adds an oil cooler. Makes absolutely no sense at all, other than they don't really care and don't want to spend the the little extra $$ it would cost per unit, on an already overpriced bike.

this last dealer i went to was Javalinea (spelling sux sorry)
normally they have been great this is the only time i had a a issue. But i also bought my bike a a different dealer out of town because none here was willing to work with me or they didn't have what i wanted in stock at the time.

as for the oil coolers i have to agree i wish they would throw them on there at least if for no other reason for the folks that live far enough south that it truly would make them more comfortable to ride and also help on some repair cost etc...

Bought mine at Alamo City HD. Went to several dealers in the Austin, San Antonio area. Alamo made me the best deal. About 3 grand less than the rest. You might give them a try. They have a couple of tech. that have been around for a few years.

Back in July of this year, while shopping for a new bike, I was aware of all the complaints from 07 and 08 touring bike owners who complained about the high heat eminating from their engines. In many cases, especially if the owners were in the Southwest part of the U.S. where 100 degree + days are as common as cheap whiskey, it is a real problem. Lots of people just can not cope with the burnt legs and hot pipes, even though we are talking about an air cooled engine here. Just for the duece of it I thought I would have some fun. I was sitting down with the sales manager and as the owner walked by I invited him to sit down and get acquainted. He shook hands and we exchanged pleasantries. I looked at both of them and I inguired of each as to all the things that owners of new (2008) bikes liked the most. In other words what was it that new owners commented the most on after owning their bikes for a month or so. The sales manager went on about all the many things he hears, among them how smooth the transmission was and the fact that it was now 6 speed instead of 5. He said another thing people bragged on was the fact that the 96 inch twin cam had more power than any other engine. The owner told me that the single most mentioned thing he hears from owners is how smooth and easy the new touring bikes go down the highway. You know, stuff like they were not affected by the wind and had such a comfortable ride etc. After letting both run down I then asked both to relate to me what things the owners of new bikes did not like or complained to them or the service dept. about. You know, the stuff that folks didn't like. As you might guess, or not, both men looked at each other for a good while. First the service manager and then the owner looked at me and said there was "nothing that they were aware of". I looked at them and said "You mean that none of your customers who had bought a new bike this year has ever complained that there was something that they did not like about their new bike?" "Thats right" both men said.
I could not contain myself any longer. I just laughed. The owner walked off but the sales manager was stuck with me. Since I was aware of the high heat issues it was not a deal breaker for me. I just wanted to see if those two tools would be honest enough to admit to the truth. They were not, but no surprise.
I ended up waiting until the 2009 models came out before I purchased a new bike, hoping that there would be some changes which might sway me into buying a new bike. Since the heat issue was high up on my list I was very pleased to see that the Harley engineers had somehow (with devine intervention I am sure) re-designed the exhaust pipes to miraculously get the hot metal away from riders legs. The bike does not run any cooler it just gets the hot pipes further away from your legs. This was never a problem until the EPA came out with tuff standards for motorcycles which caused the air cooled bike makers a huge problem. Personally, I do not see how they can get them to pass in the 2010 year because the air standards will be ratcheted up a couple of notches further. A water cooled Harley is just around the corner, like it or not.
Bye the way I really like my new Road Glide. The heat is not a problem for me. It rides like a dream. Just remember to never rely upon anyone in a dealers shop for honesty. Think about it for a minute. If they told you about all the things people hate about buying their product they would not sell as much. Since sales equal income for everyone you can understand why some people will opt to not tell the whole truth. I think they are wrong because I have always found that if you told me all the ugly details before I found out about them, I would hold you in higher regard than if you pull the wool over my eyes. In fairness I want to think that most owners and sales managers were more honest than the two I talked to were. I always give everyone the opportunity to do the right thing in the first place. After that, not so much.

JMO, but as far as I'm concerned, their all Liars!

As for a H20 Harley, there already here, the V Rod. Which actually, is Harleys Guinie pig from an early stage experiment for the future, because of EPA mandates the indusrty all knows about well in advance!

Heat management systems are available now on all touring models that are user activated. I had it downloaded (because I have a Dyna) to see what it would do. My results were good, with one exception I couldn't live with. First the good. Much better throttle response, completely smoothed out idle, in fact reduced emitting heat, eliminated the surge and decreased the ping. The only thing I couldn't live with, It stumbled at launch when the injector kicks in!

not sure who said what for sure but i will do my best here.

1. Alamo cycel is no longer Alamo they are not Cowboys etc.... motorplex !%@#$? but they are some one i havent checked with yet. I will have to try to do that one
Alamo was one of the ones i tried to get a hold of them for mine but they didnt have any in this color on the floor and didnt know if they could get one.
I belive they actually have since but not real sure now.

As for the E.P.A. i understand thsi stuff in the sens we really do need to wo work on that stuff. Agreed but also at the same time think of the burnt legs, etc... before you just toss it out there forsale TEST IT!!

I love how mine acts , runs, etc... it is over all a great Experince. All ecept that heat. It is so hot on some days that i just cringe at the fact that it is so hot in the grage tha tit will litterly raise the inside temp 2-10 deg.s in a closed grage after a ride home.
I put a fan on it and vent the door to cool things off bbut why do i need to go to this extream to cool it off.

My old 76 was cooler then this one but it was also a carb version, they didnt have the whole E.P.A. stuff to worry so much about.

but if this is a complaint that it knowen why are they un willing to retune the thing so that it is not burning the legs fo thier riders etc....

I can live with the hot pipes, i can live with havign to keep loc- tite in my pocket and the wrench set in the other oen for the things that viberate lose.
I except this when i purchase a bike from H.D. I fi go to the dealer becuse it is getting to hot dont look at me and want 80.00 for a evaluation and refuse to attempt to fix the issues.
Im aware fo the whole we are busy and cant affored to run after wild goose chases. but i even offerd to go for a ride and get it hot for them so they could see this. instead they told me it would have to be one of thier mech. to take it for a ride so they could see how hot it got. Ummm I dont think so!! you wreck it im with out a way to and from work or home. let alone all of the red tape

Back