free website stats program 08 FXDB not starting | Harley Davidson Forums

08 FXDB not starting

billwi

My 08 FXDB will do nothing when the start switch is pressed. All fuses are good, plenty of juice in the battery. Now comes the curious part: the security system idiot light comes on and stays on. I do not have the security system on my bike! Also, with the ignition on, the turn signals do not activate. I had the bike started last weekend and everything was fine. Is there something that I am overlooking? Please help! Thanks!

Bill

I had similar problem with my 08 bob. Running fine one day and then the next ... nothing. Turned out to be faulty wire in ignition switch.

Welcome to the forum bill, first thing are there any trouble codes?
I'm sure you checked the run switch, I would check where the relay wire plugs into the starter I've seen bad contacts there before, I would also check the clutch switch, that would disable the starter, the turn signals not working is weird and probably a sign.
Do you have a service manual?

Yes, I do have a service manual. By using it and some advice from a service writer at the only dealership in my area that was open on Sunday, we narrowed it down to the TSM, or turn signal module. This is wired into the security system and the signals not working in conjunction with the security light on tipped him off. Have a bid out on eBay for a new module. Gotta save money where I can!

Thanks for the reply, guys. I'm glad I found this site. Seems to be a very valuable resource!!!!

Too bad the warranty is up, don't forget password learning when you install it, it's in your manual, also a tssm would fit right in the hole if you ever thought about the upgrade, now would be the time, or if you have a friend that did the upgrade he might make you a very good deal on his take off tsm.

Well, unfortunately, it was not the TSM. Bike is now on it's way to the local dealership. I do have extended warranty, so it will only be $50. For those trying to keep up and may have the same issue, I will post the resolution when I find out.

Too bad the warranty is up, don't forget password learning when you install it, it's in your manual, also a tssm would fit right in the hole if you ever thought about the upgrade, now would be the time, or if you have a friend that did the upgrade he might make you a very good deal on his take off tsm.

Dont 08 have 2 year warranty depending on when purchased

Glad to hear you have ESP, $50.00 bucks is not a bad deal, let them do it all, looking foward to you posting what it was.

Well, I haven't seen the parts yet, but apparently the wiring harness rubbed through in several places and started frying electrical parts (starter relay, 1 of the coils, etc.). Parts are on order and I SHOULD have my bike back sometime late this coming week.

BTW....ESP ROCKS!!!!! Will never buy another H-D without it!!!!!

Back