free website stats program 08 Front Wheel bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Front Wheel bearings

dlfidler

I ride a 08 Ann. Ultra Classic, 32,000 km. On a trip, got caught in a 1 day rain. Next day noticed a noise in the front end, headed for home. Jacked the bike up, decompressed the brake calipers, spun the wheel, BAD wheel bearing. Pulled the wheel, bought new bearings SKF made in USA.#6205-2RSH/C3. Should be good for ever, nice to get rid of Chinese junk.Now I have to pull the back wheel & do the same.

I ride a 08 Ann. Ultra Classic, 32,000 km. On a trip, got caught in a 1 day rain. Next day noticed a noise in the front end, headed for home. Jacked the bike up, decompressed the brake calipers, spun the wheel, BAD wheel bearing. Pulled the wheel, bought new bearings SKF made in USA.#6205-2RSH/C3. Should be good for ever, nice to get rid of Chinese junk.Now I have to pull the back wheel & do the same.

I've got an 08 FLHTC with 30k ready for a new set of tires, was thinking about installing new bearings even though my stock ones seem fine. Where did you get these? How much were they? thanx

USA.#6205-2RSH/C3. Should be good for ever,

Did you remove the seals from the bad bearing and looking inside. The 2RSH is better seal material but not good enough for external exposure to water & sand. Yes, the SKF 2RSH is a good bearing but the seal is just as fragile as the stock factory seal. All it takes is one drop of water or 1 grain of sand past that seal and the bearing is toast.

Did you remove the seals from the bad bearing and looking inside. The 2RSH is better seal material but not good enough for external exposure to water & sand. Yes, the SKF 2RSH is a good bearing but the seal is just as fragile as the stock factory seal. All it takes is one drop of water or 1 grain of sand past that seal and the bearing is toast.

It really is sad to see all vehicles going cheap with(sealed) non serviceable bearings, I get the idea of easier to manufacture and less guess work at set up and spacing but the bearings in question can not take the loads or abuse like from water intrusion or a bit of dirt like Hoople said, this is just my observation of hand packing good old tapered wheel bearings and never having failures like this

It really is sad to see all vehicles going cheap with(sealed) non serviceable bearings, I get the idea of easier to manufacture and less guess work at set up and spacing but the bearings in question can not take the loads or abuse like from water intrusion or a bit of dirt like Hoople said, this is just my observation of hand packing good old tapered wheel bearings and never having failures like this

It is sad. I suspect it's all about the race to keep selling bikes at a required profit margin. As more and more folks drop out of the ability to buy at certain prices they keep cheapening them up to hold as much of the market as possible.

Heard from other posts that there might be a problem with the ABS equipped bikes.
Does yours have ABS?

Yes my bike has ABS brakes. I bought the bearings at Canadian bearing supplier, cost $30.00 a pair. Now I find out from the shop that pulled the bearings the wheel has has different bearings on each side. One side has the 6205 the other side has a wider bearing. When I get the bearing #s I will post on Monday, the wider bearing had to be ordered. The wider bearing also has a spacer behind it, about a 1/8" thick. This is wonderful engineering marvel???

Hoople you said the 2RSH is just as fragile as the stock junk, what do you suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to get the rear wheel bearing and the rear pulley bearing too. I had my rear wheel bearing go out at 16,000 miles and I just had to replace the rear pulley bearing at 47,000 miles. The warranty took care of the rear wheel bearings and my HD ESP covered the rear pulley bearing so that cost me $50. Never had a problem with the front bearings and I just installed new chrome wheels last December and when I did that I had new wheel bearings installed in both wheels.

Hoople you said the 2RSH is just as fragile as the stock junk, what do you suggest?

I don't really have a suggestion. What can you do except make your own design change to the existing setup or just try to stay ahead of the game by replacing the bearings when you replace your tires.(?)

Pop the seals off any failed 6205 bearing and I will bet you will see rust. That's not a fault of the bearing. These 6205 bearings don't have "Garter" springs on the seals. They were not designed to be exposed to driving wind, water, sand etc. Nothing is in place to keep the seal in contact with the inner race. My opinion? A good bearing used in the wrong application.

Garter springs=> Garter Springs: Everything You Need To Know

. . . . . . .

I don't really have a suggestion. What can you do except make your own design change to the existing setup or just try to stay ahead of the game by replacing the bearings when you replace your tires.(?)

Pop the seals off any failed 6205 bearing and I will bet you will see rust. That's not a fault of the bearing. These 6205 bearings don't have "Garter" springs on the seals. They were not designed to be exposed to driving wind, water, sand etc. Nothing is in place to keep the seal in contact with the inner race. My opinion? A good bearing used in the wrong application.

Garter springs=> Garter Springs: Everything You Need To Know

I have a suggestion, take the old HD bearing with you and the information you've collected on this thread. Goto your nearest reputable bearing dealer. I always use Applied Industrial Technologies, but that's only because my wife worked there for 20yrs.

They welcome walkins, it's a big part of their business. They will mic the bearings right out of your hand and offer you replacement options. Granted as the world continues on it's competition motivated quest for the cheaper price (as well as just plain surviving while only 85% of working force are still bringing home paychecks) there will be less and less quality options.

But they can offer you what they have. I've bought cage and construction related bearings there for years.

Back