free website stats program 08 Fat Bob - Good beginner's bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Fat Bob - Good beginner's bike?

I'm a new rider -- brand new. Two days on a Buell Blast and since then I've got 200 miles on a Street Bob. One dyna is about the same as another, near as I can tell. What I like about dyna: Narrow, low center of gravity. Very torquey... don't have to give it much throttle to get it going. In other words it goes slow well. Almost doesn't matter what gear you're in, it'll go. Very stable but at the same time easy to turn, forgiving if you aren't going too fast. That's a big if, its hard sometimes to stay off the throttle. Good clutch in the newer models. Makes really cool noises. Versatile, can be set up for touring or carving, even though I know it's not ideal for either (I mean, it's just one bike, right?). Comfy out on the highway, not too much vibration depending on your RPM and soaks up road imperfections within reason. What I don't like: it's heavy, gotta really concentrate when you're going slow or noodling around in the parking lot. Granted, 45 minutes of practicing in the parking lot before I drove it home improved my confidence immensely. But still I hope I never lay that beautiful machine down, that would be a shame. Maybe my decision was unwise but I'm sure glad I'm not riding around town on a Buell; I have a bike I really really like and we seem to be getting along well. And I could have made a worse decision; for example I was looking at a Ducati Monster, but now that I've been riding around I really appreciate being on a bike that's stable and has a low center of gravity. I was also looking at an old Yamaha cruiser, and that probably would have been the smartest thing. But I guess I'm not that smart, and plus I wanted Harley.

WC Fields said it best. "Don't be a luddy duddy. Don't be a moon calf. Don't be a jabbernowl. You're not those, are you?" Buy the bike.

Nicest thing about the bags is that nice hot meatball wedge. If you put it in the bottom of the bag , it stays hot!:D

Back