free website stats program 08 Fat Bob - Good beginner's bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Fat Bob - Good beginner's bike?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
Hey everyone,

A couple of months ago I bought a Sportster XL883. I've been riding it and loving it. However, my better half has also been riding it, and well, she wants one. So, I'm thinking maybe I'll give her the Sporty when I propose to her in a month or so, and go get myself a Fat Bob. I love the look of them, but I haven't ridden one yet.

What do you guys think? Good choice? I rode dirtbikes a ton as a kid, I've been riding my Sportster almost every day for the last 2 months, and I just finished my MSF course. What are the main differences I would feel between my current bike and the Fat Bob?

Thanks
Dave

Fat bob should be a little bigger and heavier .. maybe not as tall i dont remember ..

Careful Dave - sounds like you're dangerously close to the disease where you buy a new Harley every year, searching for the perfect bike! Do some research, demo a lot of bikes, rent for the day. Make this next purchase your last for awhile or you'll be broke quickly! I'd hate to see you run out and get the Fat Bob and then 6 months later see you post - "What's a Good Touring Model for a New Rider?"

I jumped off my Sporty after 11 months but I spent the last three months researching what my next Harley was going to be. Street Glide was the best of all worlds for me. I'm sure you'd love the Fat Bob, I'm just saying..........

Oh almost forgot, you should feel very fortunate your better half wants to share your love of riding with you. I'm a lonely "batchelor" most of the time I'm riding!

I doubt if you can go wrong there at all....LOL. I got an engagement bike too, & I love it. :D:bigsmiley16: I could have got a ring, but when he said you can have piston rings or a diamond ring, I did not hesitate with my choice. :s

Be careful there with handing bikes down though, now hubby won't share his bike with me because he claims that every time I ride his bike, I take over & he doesn't get to ride it anymore..........just because technically, there might be a pattern, doesn't necessarily mean that I would want to ride a big, heavy, cushy seat with a backrest, radio, cruises etc. on a regular basis. :D Good luck, and seriously, study up a bit on the type of riding you may be getting into. You may be better off looking into a touring model if it looks like you may want to make that move in the future.

If I was Wifey I would be ALL OVER the Fat Bob and leave the sporty to you.

Fat Bob is an great bike, very comfortable.

:bigsmiley16:

Two bike house make the jump to a bagger you'll end up there anyway :)

LOL, I may have to work on that....:D I'll catch him in a weak moment, and we will switch, then I will need to go to the store, can I take yours and so on, then I will work on making it a 3 bike house. :D

I started out riding just the past April and got an 07 883L. I learned to ride and got comfortable with it. However, I always felt like it was off center or not well balanced. I always seemed to feel like I was having to center the bike myself and at high speeds it wasn't as confortable. I figured it would just take more time to get used to it, and as I racked up miles it did, but I still always felt like the Sporty just wasn't a smooth ride.

Then I got the nerve to ride my dad's 08 Rocker for a short trip. I was amazed how much smoother and more balanced it rode. It gave me a lot more confidence and felt so much easier to ride. Cornering and leaning is much easier and natural.

That's when I decided to trade the Sporty and get a 08 Street Bob. I'm guessing the Fab Bob would be a great step forward as well and you'll never look back.

Back