free website stats program 08 Drive By Wire Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Drive By Wire Problems

I doubt the fuel pac had anything to do with this. It only changes the pulse width of the injectors after it leaves the stock ECM.
This is the type of problem that I have been hearing about with the 08 DBW bikes and you aren't the first to experience this either.

This is kinda scary. I know I have been driving bikes for over 20 years and yes, I know what to do if throttle sticks, but in reality, you can be caught off guard and in those few seconds "forget" what to do as your bike is throttling by itself toward whatever might be in front of you. This is not a good feeling.

I agree with you completely and this is the reason for this post. NOT to alarm anybody or make accusations but to alert people to a possible problem with the system.
I guess it's in the wording or what I posted as far as the situations that brought about the controversy but I feel if you know about the situation/problem, you can be better prepared IF something were to happen, hopefully I hope it doesn't to anyone but people should be alerted IMO and not be passed off as a bad tank of fuel or something else like "they all do that" which the dealers are oh so good at.
Just my .02

Being a new system for Harley (DBW) just as the 96 engine with the poorly designed cranks and the transmissions with the excessive tolerances, this also could be a problem but a bit more serious than the aforementioned ones. They have their problems as with any new product until the problems are eliminated.

Glider--I have an 08 Ultra and have had no problems--but I appreciate the heads-up on the potential problem.

Alan

Thanks for that Alan.
I would like to say that anyone that has had any experiences with an irregular operation of the throttle/engine to document it with the dealer. This is the only way that the MOCO will know that something is not working properly.

If we allow it or pass it off as "it just happened once" then we could have a problem that will never be looked into.

Can anyone recommend a site or post that would explain drive by wire or better yet post a schematic for the HD.

Glider you posted this:
"The DBW system is very basically a rheostat that runs off a ground circuit which in turn regulates the throttle body"

Having worked in the telephone industry for 25 years , I have found out that a ground may not always be a true ground.

I would like a better understanding of how this works.

Thanks Dan

Dan

It's difficult to find schematics online for a lot of bikes, mostly the ones after 02. The 08 schematics are almost impossible to find online because they are so new and have not been posted yet by anyone. If you could find someone with a factory manual for an 08 touring bike , there should be a schematic in the back of that book for the DBW.

Back