free website stats program 08 Clutch problem | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Clutch problem

uneik

Hi there,
I have just upgrade from a 96ci to the 110ci big bore, after my mechanic had delivered my baby back I noticed that I had no clutch, so I sent it back to him. He told me that my throw out bearing had collapsed, so he replaced it, re adjusted it all up and sent it back to me. I went for a ride to try things out and found that I lost the clutch again, he again re adjusted it up and the same thing has happened once again. Would anybody know as to why I keep on losing my clutch as previous to the upgrade, I had no problem whatsoever with any part of my bike.

Uneik

Sounds like something didn't get put bac together correctly, did he install a new diaphram spring when he did the upgrade?

So the clutch is not disengageing? Is there any resistance on the clutch lever or is it just slack? And have you tried adjusting it yourself?

In order for the clutch to engage, you really need to give it a kick. As for disengaging, sometimes it does and sometimes it wont come out of gear. The only resistance on the clutch lever is around 90% of the travel. The clutch was nice and firm to begin with, But 2Hrs into my ride was when it when slack.
I haven't tried to adjust it myself as yet purely because I have paid for a service.

I feel your frustration! Definately sounds like something amiss in the clutch pack, I may be wrong but I don't believe there is a throw out bearing involved in the clutch set up. I'm sure Glider will chime in with some insight eventually. :D Good luck, I'll be curious to find the culprit! :yeahright

sounds like the clutch adjuster is backing off but usually thats a all at once deal

I have just been informed by my mechanic that some of the other mechanics around town have been backing off the adjuster 3/4 turn instead of the normal 1/2 a turn as the specs mention and they have had no issues with doing that. So I guess I will have to wait and see the outcome of this now.

The more you back off on the adjuster the closer to the bar it will disengage the clutch and there may not be enough separation in the plates when it's warm if you go too far. It will cause hard shifting and finding neutral.
I usually adjust them about 1/2 turn out instead of the 3/4 end of the adjustment.

Back