free website stats program 08 Bagger running sluggish | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Bagger running sluggish

08ultraglide

This is the first problem I have had. When coming home from work I noticed she was running a little sluggish after the first 5 miles. It was about 85 and humid today, in the 90's yesterday and she ran great. Running at 80mph and twist the throttle the pull I am use to wasn't there and then when I was going up a hill I had the throttle pegged to the stop just keeping steady at 80 in sixth at 3000rpm.
I have V&H true duals with Rush slip-ons with stock air cleaner (these have been on for over a month), I just replaced the plugs and oil last week. Oil pressure was fine, 93 octane fuel, tires at correct pressure and brakes are not dragging.

a strong head wind can make a big difference in "feel" of power. Even a 10 mph head wind can make a big difference.

Did you notice any thing "different" before the lack of power? backfire,sputtering "hiccup"??

Check your engine oil level in the bike to see if it is low. It sounds as if it could be sumping, yet another problem that some of the 08 bikes are experiencing.

Sumping is when the oil isn't returned to the tank properly and the fly wheels run through excess oil in the engine sump causing drag which will give exactly what you describe.
The dealer will remove the plug in the bottom of the crank case and if more than a couple of ounces of oil comes out, then you are sumping and the reason has to be determined. Usually a problem with the oil pump which can be caused by excessive run out on the crank.

08Ultrglide:

Hopefully you don't have a cracked or broken fuel filter housing that is causing a loss in fuel pressure. If your bike is running crappy, even at idle, then you may be experiencing what I and several other '08 Touring model owners have had to deal with. Mine had about 4500 miles on it when evidently the vibrations took it toll. There were 3 or 4 other bikes in the shop waiting on a new replacement piece when mine was trailered in to the dealer.

Scott in IL

Back