free website stats program 07-up hyd. cam chain tensioners reports | Harley Davidson Forums

07-up hyd. cam chain tensioners reports

RedPanEd

LOTS of posts here about problems with early TC cam chain spring tension shoes wearing out. Also LOTS of posts about gear drive cams (pro and con). The MOCO came out with hydraulic tensioners in 06/07 (8 model years ago). How are they holding up? I 'd like to hear your stories (with mileage) on the newer bikes AND retrofitted older twin cams. Got a 2000 FLSTC (not a hot rod)with 70K miles. The shoes and cam bearings were replaced at 42K. I'm thinking it's time to inspect them and would like a plan to replace them if needed.
Thanks
RedEd

I have an 05 Electra glide that i converted to 07 and up. The 07 cam plate bolts right in. I had to get the hybrid N- grind cams and kit for the chains and gears as well as the new hydraulic tensioners. It took me a good long day to install. I have about 12000 miles on them with no complaints.
WAP.gif

I'm told the best way to go is the gear drive but can get a little spendy. Second best is the later model hydraulic.

IMO, the MOCO missed out here, gear drive is the way to go. The noise police(EPA) is the main reason behind this gear to gear was good enough for ALL the other big twins JMO

To answer your question, there are very few failure reports on the later roller chain/hydro tensioner setup; no worries there. No disagreement on the reliability of gear drive cams either. However, for a "not a hot rod motor", unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket, just replace the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioners and spend the savings on something else.

harley davidson chain tensioners

If you want to upgrade your oil pump, which is one of the reasons some opt for one of the HD cam plate upgrades, Drag Specialties offers an upgrade pump for the early models as well. The CYCO shoes and new pump should last for a very long time.

Attachments

• Drag Oil Pump.jpg
    Drag Oil Pump.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 12
To answer your question, there are very few failure reports on the later roller chain/hydro tensioner setup; no worries there. No disagreement on the reliability of gear drive cams either. However, for a "not a hot rod motor", unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket, just replace the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioners and spend the savings on something else.

harley davidson chain tensioners

If you want to upgrade your oil pump, which is one of the reasons some opt for one of the HD cam plate upgrades, Drag Specialties offers an upgrade pump for the early models as well. The CYCO shoes and new pump should last for a very long time.
Thanks for your (and all other) reply's! Great info and just what I was looking For!
RedEd

Back