free website stats program 07 Ultra Will Not Start | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Ultra Will Not Start

bikemikewcr

I just picked up a 07 Ultra yesterday and everything was fine, it started with no problems. Today I went to start the bike and the only thing that I get is one click when I hit the start button. This is kind of frustrating. I replaced the battery just to rule that out and I still get the same result. I also replaced the two relays, the starter relay in the fuse box and the larger one that is mounted just behind the battery and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Is the kill switch in the run position ,and does it have fact. alarm? With the alarm if it is not disarming you will get lights and all other acc. but only one faint click if you try to start it,unless you have the siren,then a lot of noise accompanies that click

I do have the off/run switch in the run position and the ignition/headlamp switch in the ignition position. I will try slapping the starter with a rubber mallet. Thanks for the input. No fobs with the keys and the PO said that it does not have an alarm on the bike.

Thanks Glider,
I tried that last night.

Doug_09Ultra was right, I tapped the starter a few times with a rubber mallet and she fired right up. I thought of that last night but did not want to hit this thing quite yet. Hopefully that will be the only gremlin for now. Thanks for the help. This forum looks like it will be quite helpfull and it seems to be a good group of people so far.

Actually the "rap" with a rubber mallet works, but the real question then is "will it happen again"? Likely the problem is the heavy copper solenoid contact "washer" has a "burnt weld sprue" holding the solenoid engaged (open ckt).

This is due to it not rotating freely so different area contacts each time you engage the starter...your tapping freed the stuck solenod back to the relaxed position allowing you to start ckt as normal. At some point down the road, you will likely have to take it apart starter/solenoid, inspect and service it, but hopefully your tapping it moved it enough that it rotates more freely to a different spot.

Back