free website stats program 07 Ultra Misfiring | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Ultra Misfiring

Rainman64

Hi All,
I have a 2007 Ultra Classic and I’m having problems with it misfiring. The bike coughs/misfires in the 2500 RPM range, which most of the riding is done. It does it at a steady state and sometimes in rapid secession, with increase and decrease of the throttle, like it’s going to stop running. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and this was very annoying. The bike has the SE intake, true duals, with Rush slip on exhaust. I had the ECM flashed for the Stage One upgrade. I was running the Vance & Hines Fuel Pac code 0540, which changes were made to after calling V & H. I bypassed the fuelpac in hopes the problem would go away, but this did not help. It still coughed/misfired down the highway at the same RPM. I am hoping someone has had the same problem and can help prior to taking it to the dealer. Thanks

Hi All,
I have a 2007 Ultra Classic and I’m having problems with it misfiring. The bike coughs/misfires in the 2500 RPM range, which most of the riding is done. It does it at a steady state and sometimes in rapid secession, with increase and decrease of the throttle, like it’s going to stop running. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and this was very annoying. The bike has the SE intake, true duals, with Rush slip on exhaust. I had the ECM flashed for the Stage One upgrade. I was running the Vance & Hines Fuel Pac code 0540, which changes were made to after calling V & H. I bypassed the fuelpac in hopes the problem would go away, but this did not help. It still coughed/misfired down the highway at the same RPM. I am hoping someone has had the same problem and can help prior to taking it to the dealer. Thanks

Try a wiggle test on the injector wires, the harness is a bit short and can cause a problem like this

In addition to what Jack said,

Did it just start this or has it been doing it ever since you added V&H's ?

Just for starters I would pull your plug wires off and do an ohm check on each. LABEL them, i.e. don't mix them up on install since they are different lengths (and ohms).

On my 07 Dyna it's 4750 thru 11230 on the front wire, and 1812 thru 4375 on the rear wire, but check your manual for your specific readings.

If the wires are ok make sure you the connectors are crimped good when you put them back on.

Additionally on models with ion sensing the ECM monitors the combustion (or lack of it) thru the ion sensor pin on the ECM. Check your codes for
P1353 Front cylinder no combustion
P1356 Rear cyl no combustion
P1357 Front cyl intermittent combustion
P1358 Rear cyl intermittent combustion

Once you get the pertinant code you can follow the flow diagnositic chart in your manual.

I got the Fuelpac right when I bought the bike because of the backfiring and adding a SE breather. When it starting misfiring I called Vance & Hines and we made some changes to the code and it seems to stop. Then misfiring started again. On my last trip it was so bad i disconnected the Fuelpak and plugged directly back into the ECM (it has the stage one flash), and the misfiring was still there. I'm going to purchase a code reader and go from there. Thanks guys for you input.

Doug

. . . . . . I'm going to purchase a code reader and go from there. Thanks guys for you input.

Doug

You can get the codes by pushing a manual described sequence on your speedo button. You don't need the code reader.

Those Harley OEM code readers are expensive (unless you can pigtail a cheap car one up that can read Harleys J180 or whatever (forgot the number) serial protocol.

I think the codes themselves may be similar to OB-1 and OB-11 but not sure if any reader outside of HD's code reader can read the protocol to pull them.

Back