free website stats program 07 Ultra Classic tapping | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Ultra Classic tapping

DF07UC

My 2007 Ultra Classic started tapping after about an hour of riding. My engine oil had just over 4,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and thought the tap was gone. After about 300 miles on new oil the tap started again. The tap is very light, it's hard to hear but it is there. My bike has 30,000 miles on it has been serviced regularly. What could this be?

Does noise happen at idle? While riding and at what speeds? Clutch in or out, riding or stationary? What type oil and filter using? Any recent modifications done to bike? Under load or coasting?? When serviced any appreciable amounts of debris on drain plug magnet??

The noise has never started while at idle. Each time it has started while on highway at 55 to 60 mph. I use Mobil 1 V twin synthetic 20w50. K & N Filter. When the tap starts it seems to start slowly but increases like it is catching up to speed of engine.

I tried Mobil 1 but my lifters got noisy. Switched to Bel-Ray 20-50 and it quieted right down.

Also, there have been no modifications done to the engine. No debris on the oil plug magnet. The tap never has started until after if have rode for at least 30 to 45 minutes. Oil pressure seems fine, about 32 psi.

Also, there have been no modifications done to the engine. No debris on the oil plug magnet. The tap never has started until after if have rode for at least 30 to 45 minutes. Oil pressure seems fine, about 32 psi.

Might try a Harley O.E. filter....

Back