free website stats program '07 Super Glide, class 2 leak | Harley Davidson Forums

'07 Super Glide, class 2 leak

DynaSG07

This is my first Harley. It is a 2007 with 560 miles on it. I picked it up about a weekago. Noticed when i come in from a ride, it has a little seepage from were the belt goes around the front sprocket. Is this normal?

thanks you all.

When you say around the front sprocket, is it on the inside or the outboard side of the sprocket. It could either be primary oil or trans oil depending on which side it's coming from. Either way it's not normal.

Are you sure it's not running down from somewhere above that area?

Welcome to the forum. No, oil leaking from the area you describe is not normal.
With only 560 miles on it, your bike has done a LOT of sitting. It's possible that the seal has dried and some riding will get oil on it and swell it up. Possible, not probable. If your belt is too tight, it could cause leaking, but I doubt the belt was tightened with those low miles. Keep the area wiped down good and put some miles on the bike, and watch the area.

Thanks, Breeze3at, I"ll continue to ride and monitor the area. Its not engine oil i know that, i don't know what primary gear oil looks like, but the oil that's seeping out is not hot and no odor to it. Is like a clear dark color if it makes sense

If it's gear oil it will have a rather pungent smell to it. You may want to pull the dipstick and take a whiff and compare. Do the same with the primary oil too.

Real good advice here, and I don't want to pirate the thread, but do you know if the bike still has the original tires?

If you check the primary level soon, JUST to make sure it is Not LOW to start with..

Not knowing the amount of Leak and only seeing the amount on the floor.. How much lost while riding???

Do you have a HD service manual for the bike??? IF not , good idea to buy one.. Glider posted a place to buy one "ON Line" and it seemed to be around 9.95.. Only the on the computer book though... May suit your needs???:newsmile093:

Maybe He'll come back and mention Where to you..:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

If there is no significant difference in smell between the primary and tranny lubes, you can get an ultraviolet dye from your auto parts store. Teh kit usually comes with a UV flashlight. Put the dye in one or the other hole, clean up the area, ride a bit, and check for glowing oil. You will know from whence it comes pretty quick.

Just know that the repair operation does not vary too much, one way or the other. Your inner primary will need to be pulled to get at a seal leak, from any one of the following sources: starter shaft, clutch shaft into the primary, sprocket shaft from the tranny. Regardless of source, once in there, I would replace the seals in all 3 places, but, that is just me. Once the big part is done (inner primary removal), seals are small potatoes.

Before you go too far, just make sure that the tranny is not puking out the breather tube at the top, if your model has one. I know on my RKC, such a source can appear to be a leaky seal, since it drips from a similar location.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for all of the help. This is my First HD

Real good advice here, and I don't want to pirate the thread, but do you know if the bike still has the original tires?

I was told they were the origional tires. They are Dunlop M/C, they say Harley Davidson on them. The bike was kept in climate controlled storage

Last edited by a moderator:
Back