free website stats program 07 Softail Ticking | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Softail Ticking

mrriehl

I have an 07 Softail Custom with a serious ticking noise. The noise sounds a lot like the arcing of spark between a plug wire and the spark plug. It sounds like it's coming form the left side of the bike, maybe in the Primary area. I had a local wrench listen to it and he suggested it was lifters. Well, after some serious cash outlay the noise came right back. This ticking will come and go. My local wrench seems to think now we have an oil pressure problem. He says he will make it right but I don't want to be trying one thing and then another until we happen to find the actual problem. Any ideas from the group?:

Lots of possibilities here. 1st off, I don't think your mechanic did much investigating, just went for an easy throw $$ at it hail Mary attempt. Take a long screwdriver, piece of broom handle, or a piece of gas line to use as a stethescope and put it on various places trying to isolate the sound. If it is on the left side primary area it could be an undertightened or overtightened primary chain, or a compensating sprocket. Tell us more, how many miles on the bike, does the sound match engine rpm's, more when rev'd up, or when slowing down? When did it start, what's the last thing you did, could it have a bearing on the noise? Everything you can think of.

What brand oil filter are you using??? If not a HD oil filter get one and give it a try... Also might want to change oil with Mobil 1 or equivalent.

Good advice here from Breeze and dbmg, have you looked at the exhaust?

Yer all AWESOME!! Thanks for the help!!

OK, here we go!!
Bike has 9,000 miles on it - 7,000 when I bought it last Oct.
The ticking matches the rpm of the engine.
When I get on it it goes away and then when I come to the next stop light and at idle it comes back.
Last thing I did was braided front brake cable and clutch cable.
The oil filter is the same one the stealer put on when I bought the bike.
Currently using Amsoil in crankcase.
My wrench put a stethoscope on it and couldn't come up with anything concrete.
In my mind the next step is to pull off the primary cover and have a look-see.

How would I go about testing for an exhaust leak?

Have you got some Heavy Gloves? You can stop up the pipes one at a time with some folded card board and welding gloves. listen for the exhaust to (whistle):s

Back