free website stats program 07 softail custom computer tune or module | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

07 softail custom computer tune or module

I looked at the TFI online, only problem is I just bought the fuelpak. I will try to sell it on ebay or something. but I just dont know what to do for now, its 85 outside and beautiful, Im ready to ride. just dont want to tear up my ride. I contacted another harley shop and the guy said that he could do a dyno, but suggested putting a program in the computer, that way the fuelpak wouldnt have to compensate so much to hit peek performance. I tried to explain that Im not looking to have the fastest bike just a good running bike with my aftermarket breather and pipes. he said the tune they use for the 103 motor with breather and pipes would work good. I just dont know,cause they are all trying to sell something.

Looks like us FXSTC riders gotta stick together!

Don't ditch the Fuel Pak yet! You spent good money on it, no sense in ripping it out and starting over.

If I understand the Fuel Pak correctly, it will do things for you similar to the Dobeck. The Dobeck products may have an advantage with ease of adjustment, but, the Fuel Pak should do the same thing for you. ( I think )

If I do understand correctly, the Fuel Pak will modify the signal to your injectors and add more gas, at the same time it adjusts/modifies your Air/Fuel ratios for better performance over stock.

At this point, I would recommend going back to the V&H map that you liked the best. Regarding the heat issue... are you sure the new map caused the heat, or, were you running the bike hard?

Certainly, someone else on this forum has some "hands on" with a similar set up.

Thanks to everyone that replys on this post, I look forward to being part of this HD community
THANKS AGIN KEEP THEM COMMING:small3d028:

Ok, I talked to the guys at fuel pak and in my personal opion those guys dont like their job.:( I sent a request in for the parts on my bike and got the same numbers back. I called a harley machanic and told him the problem, and of course he had tons of stuff I could buy. So I got a little nasty and said I have bought enuf stuff I want my bike to run correctly. He said he has seen this before that poeple put pipes, breathers, and a custom module, and the computer pushes out a signal and the module swings up and down to change those signals. He suggested that I put the 103 tune in the computer so the fuelpak dosnt have to comphensate so much, or a race tuner and a dyno and 700 or more dollars later and problem solved. I just dont get it, I paid enuf for this bike I shouldnt have to worrie about a fuel map for my pipes and breather, Im ready to RIDE. A guy that I talked to said I would be very happy with the tune they put on the 103 motors with pipes and breathers, say it works great for the 96inch. Its hard to get a straight answer because they are all trying to meet a sales quota!!!!!!!!!!! I think Im gona try the 103 tune, and pray it works.:51::small3d028::51:

Looks like us FXSTC riders gotta stick together!

Don't ditch the Fuel Pak yet! You spent good money on it, no sense in ripping it out and starting over.

If I understand the Fuel Pak correctly, it will do things for you similar to the Dobeck. The Dobeck products may have an advantage with ease of adjustment, but, the Fuel Pak should do the same thing for you. ( I think )

If I do understand correctly, the Fuel Pak will modify the signal to your injectors and add more gas, at the same time it adjusts/modifies your Air/Fuel ratios for better performance over stock.

At this point, I would recommend going back to the V&H map that you liked the best. Regarding the heat issue... are you sure the new map caused the heat, or, were you running the bike hard?

Certainly, someone else on this forum has some "hands on" with a similar set up.

I went back to a old map that is out dated, but it runs better just sounds like a victory not a harley, so much so that my wife who dosnt have a mechanical bone in her body said "what the (EDIT) , I havent ran it hard, no full throttle runs yet. Its not the bike itsself, gotta be the programmer. it could be a bad programmer, but I wouldnt know cause they have you keep trying new stuff till the warenty is gone:D, I think its in the programer itsself. not the bike.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I talked to the guys at fuel pak and in my personal opion those guys dont like their job.:( I sent a request in for the parts on my bike and got the same numbers back. I called a harley machanic and told him the problem, and of course he had tons of stuff I could buy. So I got a little nasty and said I have bought enuf stuff I want my bike to run correctly. He said he has seen this before that poeple put pipes, breathers, and a custom module, and the computer pushes out a signal and the module swings up and down to change those signals. He suggested that I put the 103 tune in the computer so the fuelpak dosnt have to comphensate so much, or a race tuner and a dyno and 700 or more dollars later and problem solved. I just dont get it, I paid enuf for this bike I shouldnt have to worrie about a fuel map for my pipes and breather, Im ready to RIDE. A guy that I talked to said I would be very happy with the tune they put on the 103 motors with pipes and breathers, say it works great for the 96inch. Its hard to get a straight answer because they are all trying to meet a sales quota!!!!!!!!!!! I think Im gona try the 103 tune, and pray it works.:51::small3d028::51:

Why do you want to just keep throwing $$$ at the bike. Naturally asking the dealers a loaded question where they see $$$ they will suggest something that will cost you more money instead of working with what you have already.

"Yeah, we can install one of our super duper tuners and a bunch of dyno runs, but bring mucho $$$"

They can put your wallet on a diet real fast.

My suggestion to you being you found out how fuel pack treats you, sell that unit and get a TFI, forget the 103 download too. The dealer downloads are still lean and by installing an incorrect download hoping it will cure your problem is just throwing more $$$ at the bike. Installing a different map for any setup isn't the proper way of doing it. The map should be for YOUR specific setup or it will not run properly. The dealer downloads are parts specific meaning they are calculated with the HD parts in mind and anything that isn't their parts will change the running of the bike.

You asked for some sound advice and I'm giving it to you.

In no way do I want to keep throwing money at it. I spent enuf on the bike that I shouldnt have to throw anything at it but some petro. I understand what your saying about the TFI, wich once the fuel pac is sold I will look into. But Im trying to get buy for now. As for what I posted about the dealers is just proof that they dont want to help, they are all trying to sell somthing. And it was in responce to a private message asking me to post any more info on anything I found out. I am looking into the TFI, and like the advice. Was just posting what I had found out. I will not buy another Vance& hines electro device agin for shure. :newsmile07::small3d028:

Just re-read your first post.

It appears you're having two issues.

1) Excess heat
2) Not making the right sounds

Problem 1 isn't something I could help you with, I'm not as much of a gearhead as others here.
However, I might be able to shed some light on problem 2. You might want to sit down for this.

Our bikes are a little different than the ones we used to hear. They take advantage of more modern tech, are computer controlled, idle at higher rpms, now have fuel injection, and... run more smoothly. To have a bike that makes the right, "potato-potato-potato" sound at idle as well as the top fuel dragster music at full throttle you might have to add more parts, ( talk to Bubbie about cams, that might help ) or, get an older bike. Some on this forum say the Evo, others say the Shovel Head was the last bike to sound right. I don't know. One day I'd like to find out.

What ever your solution is, I hope you'll share it with us!

Cheers!
WAP.gif

Got a 2008 Heritage softail with V&H Big Shots Long, HD Stage 1 breather kit and a V&H FuelPak. I installed it all in March of 2008 myself using the settings that came in the book with the module and haven't had a bit of trouble. Had 2800 miles at install and 19,000 miles on it now. Oil temp runs about 220 to 230 degrees, hot days up to 240, but it ran that hot with the stock setup as well. Spoke with a few techs that I trust, and they all say they are made to run that hot now. You say yours runs hot. How hot? I thought mine sounded somewhat weird at first, then I had a buddy run it up and down the road and I really liked it. I see you are in Indiana. V&H has a shop in Brownsburg. If you think the module is bad take it by there and see if they will check it out. Good Luck.

Got a 2008 Heritage softail with V&H Big Shots Long, HD Stage 1 breather kit and a V&H FuelPak. I installed it all in March of 2008 myself using the settings that came in the book with the module and haven't had a bit of trouble. Had 2800 miles at install and 19,000 miles on it now. Oil temp runs about 220 to 230 degrees, hot days up to 240, but it ran that hot with the stock setup as well. Spoke with a few techs that I trust, and they all say they are made to run that hot now. You say yours runs hot. How hot? I thought mine sounded somewhat weird at first, then I had a buddy run it up and down the road and I really liked it. I see you are in Indiana. V&H has a shop in Brownsburg. If you think the module is bad take it by there and see if they will check it out. Good Luck.

Wow, Im 30 min from brownsburg. I look it up and see. A buddie and I checked the temp today and he said its not bad, I trust him he been on these bikes 30 plus years. but he agrees that it dosnt sound right. we checked wires, plugs, compression, ect, ect, and he even took it for a ride, so I guess the heat is ok. But I will definetly check to see if that place in brownsburg is open to walk ins, Thanks man.:D

Check out Master Tune, you dont have to wire in a module. You reprogram the ECM with a laptop, it has a bunch of different cookie cutter maps for different motors and performance parts so you can find what works best and refine from there. with the V tune software on the cd you can plug your bike into the laptop ride it around and use the saved data to further tune the bike. Takes a little time to read through everything but works well if you really want to get the bike fine tuned you can still have it dynoed but you dont need to.
I just replaced the ECM on my 04 softtail which has 2 into 1 V&H and Screaming Eagle breater and instead of doing the stage 1 down load again I tried the Master Tune and the bike runs better then it has in 6 years.

Back