free website stats program 07 roadking problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

07 roadking problems

Glider, were you a harley mechanic?You're like a walking encyclopedia when it comes to harleys.All I can say is thanks!

Glider thanks for all your help. I gave this information to my husband and he's bringing the bike back in to find out if they actually replaced the right part. As far as the bike not starting, it doesnt crank or anything, just totally dead. Likes work just wont start. Probably all connected. Noticed that when the bike hits a certain temperature all this starts happening...neutral light, 6th gear then it stalls out and wont restart.

Another question I had was regarding the DTC codes. Noticed one code that kept comming up was for the rear O2 sensor (high). Would you know what causes this and if it has anything to do with the smooth torque conversion?

Thanks again for your help.

The 02 sensor high has to be diagnosed by the dealer. It could be a wiring problem like corrosion or a bad sensor itself.
Usually it will not be associated with the 0903 torque smoothing download. That download is a remap of the ECM that removes timing to eliminate a known problem with the 07 bikes.

Just had an issue with my 07 Road King Classic... it seems as if it may be related to this thread.

Background on the bike first... bought it in February '07, just went over 15,000 miles day before yesterday. Never had an issue with it.

Yesterday I rode about 8 miles to a local store with a friend. We pulled into the parking lot and since the parking spaces were on a slight incline, I left the bike in 1st gear when I shut it off. Normally I leave it in Neutral.

After about 15 mins in the store, we came back out and got ready to leave. Here's where I may have screwed up, not sure. I attempted to hold the cluth lever in and put the bike back into Neutral before I started it.
When I flipped the ignition on I got all power...no issues. When I hit the Run button, I heard the FI start to initiate, watched the engine light go through its checks and then go out...no issues. The Neutral light was illuminated but when I tried to start the bike I got nothing. No whir, no click ... nothing.

Local dealer came and picked up the bike. After a five minute ride to the shop, we took the bike off the truck and once on the ground I tried to show the tech what happened. Followed the same steps but the bike started right up... He called it (edit) that it started. Didn't really offer any ideas as to why it wouldn't start before.

High temps here in SouthWest Oklahoma but overheating has never been a problem. The ride to the store was pretty short.

Looking back now, I think I may have caused a false neutral when I attempted to put the bike back into Neutral and that may have prevented the bike from starting. Thinking I should have just gone through my normal starting steps and just held the clutch lever in to start.

Any thoughts? I was lucky this occurred just around the corner from the dealer and not 50 miles from nowhere!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to your problem probably lies in the neutral safety switch. Quite a few problems with them and I replaced 3 of them in mine already. It incorporates a circuit found on the police bikes starting in 07 that will keep the starter from engaging when the bike is in gear and the lever is not pulled in. When the switch starts to become troublesome, the plunger hangs up and the bike thinks it's in gear and will not start even with the clutch handle pulled in.
Later on in it's life if you don't replace it, the neutral light will come on in all gears and then you know where to look, be warned that when this happens that the bike will start in gear also at this point. The switch is covered under warranty and it costs about $15 to replace it yourself. Dealers usually stock a bunch of these switches.

OK, I thought I was going crazy when my neutral light, 6th gear light, and alarm all came on while cruising towards Strugis a couple weeks ago. It did it twice (both times above 10,000 feet in the moutains), I thought it was altitude sickness. The bike ran fine otherwise. I went above 10,000 feet again and it didn't do it. So that ruined my altitude theory.
Also noticed a couple of times that it wouldn't start when I hit that starter button (not even a click, but the lights were fine). Then the next time I hit the button it fired right up.
I guess I will subject the dealer to my education. I asked yesterday and they didn't know these lights were all related. Thanks again.

I am very happy to report that the service department at my dealer (Bigg's San Marcos, CA) is ordering the neutral switch (PN 33926-06B), they will call me when it is received. I thought I might get a bit of feedback from them since I diagnosed this problem myself (with HDTimeline forum's help, of course), but no! What a great bunch of guys. This is the first time my bike will be in their hands. I am very happy to be relieved of the thought of my mystery electrical problem.

Back