free website stats program 07 roadking and Crank Runout Concern | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

07 roadking and Crank Runout Concern

I remember the .003 but if I got the crank fixed as you recommend I would wont a .001 or close to that. I would like the gear drive at that point also. I am going to just drive my bike for a while and hope for the best. I sure would like to install a cam in the bike but until I fix the crank the gear drive is out of the question. I just like the way they sound with a good cam in it , reminds me of a 68 Camaro with a optional z28 cam solid lift and 11 to 1 headers :) Doubt if pulls that way but it a start. It just cost money to have fun I guess. The first time I heard a 427 with gear drive I thought was coming apart. At any rate I have learned a few things here and will keep reading. The tuner is next and thanks to this forum I have a great lead on a tuner. Thanks for responding to my questions Jim:)

I remember the .003 but if I got the crank fixed as you recommend I would wont a .001 or close to that. I would like the gear drive at that point also. I am going to just drive my bike for a while and hope for the best. I sure would like to install a cam in the bike but until I fix the crank the gear drive is out of the question. I just like the way they sound with a good cam in it , reminds me of a 68 Camaro with a optional z28 cam solid lift and 11 to 1 headers :) Doubt if pulls that way but it a start. It just cost money to have fun I guess. The first time I heard a 427 with gear drive I thought was coming apart. At any rate I have learned a few things here and will keep reading. The tuner is next and thanks to this forum I have a great lead on a tuner. Thanks for responding to my questions Jim:)

I've missed the part where you've checked, how much runout do you have?

I've missed the part where you've checked, how much runout do you have?
/I] I have not been into my engine, have not had it very long . I knew nothing about a Harley engine an starting reading and watching u tube. I asked a few local guys in the area I live in . When I ran across the information on the crank I was ready to find the bike a new home. The poor running engine I assumed was because of the epa mandates and the added exhaust and air cleaner. That was one of the reasons to start reading to get the best tuner for my needs . The bike probably runs better than my riding skills now but I was wonting to get a game program together for the bike. I had wonted a little more torque through the upper part of the rpm . I had talked to a local mechanic who had wonted to install gear drive camshaft but I would not feel comfortable with that even if the engine had 0 run out now. After the guys on the forum here helped me get a better understanding on the crankshaft and it current build. I have talked to a few guys that I work with and there bikes have 96 inch engines were not even aware of the possibility of the problem. The forums are probably the only way I would have found out and even if I did have a problem I doubt the local dealer would have spoken about the design , so with out knowing install rebuilt hd engine and the same possibility again. I had wonted to install a cam shaft with a little torque capability but I had wonted to know at what point to just put the bike together or fix it depending on what I decide . I did not know how much would wipe out the oil pump or eat up the bearings . Before I go out and buy a cam it seems best to check run out . Right now I have no clue what it is except it runs flat and needs a tuner. Thanks for reading my post and responding Jim

I remember the .003 but if I got the crank fixed as you recommend I would wont a .001 or close to that. I would like the gear drive at that point also. I am going to just drive my bike for a while and hope for the best. I sure would like to install a cam in the bike but until I fix the crank the gear drive is out of the question. The tuner is next and thanks to this forum I have a great lead on a tuner. Thanks for responding to my questions Jim:)

If/when you get the crank trued, it will not be to .000 but more like .001 or a tad better is possible. I would not be afraid to install a "bolt-in" cam set with your chain drive cam plate. SE204, Andrews 26, S&S 551, Redshift 525, Crane 300-2 would all work nicely. I believe those are all available for the chain drive cam plate.:dknow

If/when you get the crank trued, it will not be to .000 but more like .001 or a tad better is possible. I would not be afraid to install a "bolt-in" cam set with your chain drive cam plate. SE204, Andrews 26, S&S 551, Redshift 525, Crane 300-2 would all work nicely. I believe those are all available for the chain drive cam plate.:dknow
Yes it would be un realistic to expect 0 And I don't think it would be necessary . What do you think about the adjustable push rods on a hd. Bad idea or k . One of the mechanics that I talked to that use to work for hd did not like them. What would you think would work on run out if I decide to install a cam . My bike is clean and low miles. what would you do if you went into the engine and it has let say .011 or what ever. I might be better off just selling it and buying a older bike that does not have these problems. Most of the general public does not even have a clue like me about this problem. Where would you say ok I will run it like this. Not sure what year is the best one to start with . Thanks Jim:dknow

What do you think about the adjustable push rods on a hd. Bad idea or ok . One of the mechanics that I talked to that use to work for hd did not like them. What would you think would work on run out if I decide to install a cam . My bike is clean and low miles. what would you do if you went into the engine and it has let say .011 or what ever. I might be better off just selling it and buying a older bike that does not have these problems. Where would you say ok I will run it like this. Not sure what year is the best one to start with . Thanks Jim:dknow

You seem very confused and conflicted; it's not that tough to figure out.

Nothing wrong with adjustable pushrods. The issue is that adjustable pushrods can come loose and cause problems whereas fixed length pushrods cannot. However, quality pushrods like SE, Smith Brothers and S&S should not come loose if properly installed.

As for your crank runout, until you have it checked and know what it is, you can't evaluate your options which are:

1. if runout is within acceptable limits, run it at is and if/when it fails, repair.
2. if runout is not within acceptable limits, repair and build a stronger motor
3. if runout is not within acceptable limits, take your licks, sell the bike and buy another.

Acceptable limits, for me, would be no more than .005"-.006" and I would not be afraid to run a set of bolt in cams with that runout.

What do you think about the adjustable push rods on a hd.
Adjustable push rods are a good idea on any H D provided you use quality rods and follow the manufacturer install, this will give a better adjustment on the valves

You seem very confused and conflicted; it's not that tough to figure out.

Nothing wrong with adjustable pushrods. The issue is that adjustable pushrods can come loose and cause problems whereas fixed length pushrods cannot. However, quality pushrods like SE, Smith Brothers and S&S should not come loose if properly installed.

As for your crank runout, until you have it checked and know what it is, you can't evaluate your options which are:

1. if runout is within acceptable limits, run it at is and if/when it fails, repair.
2. if runout is not within acceptable limits, repair and build a stronger motor
3. if runout is not within acceptable limits, take your licks, sell the bike and buy another.

Acceptable limits, for me, would be no more than .005"-.006" and I would not be afraid to run a set of bolt in cams with that runout.
Ok I appreciate the advice . If I seem confused sorry about that. Thanks for spelling it out as you did , good advice 005 or 006 seems to be in the middle. I wont give it away for sure that out . As for build a stronger motor, it may be more cost effective to sell it and buy one as I have been to the hd dealer sales and can go again . Good to have friends and options. I got a decent buy on the bike and in cash. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Adjustable push rods are a good idea on any H D provided you use quality rods and follow the manufacturer install, this will give a better adjustment on the valves
Thanks you sir as I have been told both ways and by hd mechanics. I am sorry about dragging this out . I am a little irritated with hd quality but that changes nothing . Jim

Thanks you sir as I have been told both ways and by hd mechanics. I am sorry about dragging this out . I am a little irritated with hd quality but that changes nothing . Jim

Not to worry about dragging it out, that's how we all learn here. I sometimes get irritated with what I think is poor quality on my HD. For a reality check, I sometimes visit other brand forums, and they have problems too. For a real eye opener, visit one of the "Elite" German brand forums. Yikes!!, talk about dealer double talk, parts backordered, etc.
Riders that search forums about their bikes are interested in more than just going for a ride. I believe they (we) are the purists that want to know every detail, and get dirty hands in the process.

Back