free website stats program 07 RK oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

07 RK oil leak

My road king leaks motor oil if the oil is higher then half way up the hash marks,(cold). The first time it happened was after the dealer did the thousand mi service. There was a quarter size spot on the floor the next morning. when I checked it the oil was three quarters up the Hash marks (cold). the dealer put dye in the tranny then the motor ,while they where trying to figure out where it was coming from over the miles the leak stoped, approx. 1000 miles later. the oil level was back to half way. when I changed the oil at 3000 mi the same thing happened again. thousand mi later it stopped, when it got back to half. So I keep it under halfway and it doesn't leak. Is this normal, is there an over flow between the primary and the crank case (thats were the oil is coming from)or is it a seal? The dealer is saying its an over flow or breather , but I can't see one on the mtoor or in my facrory service manual.

My road king leaks motor oil if the oil is higher then half way up the hash marks,(cold). The first time it happened was after the dealer did the thousand mi service. There was a quarter size spot on the floor the next morning. when I checked it the oil was three quarters up the Hash marks (cold). the dealer put dye in the tranny then the motor ,while they where trying to figure out where it was coming from over the miles the leak stoped, approx. 1000 miles later. the oil level was back to half way. when I changed the oil at 3000 mi the same thing happened again. thousand mi later it stopped, when it got back to half. So I keep it under halfway and it doesn't leak. Is this normal, is there an over flow between the primary and the crank case (thats were the oil is coming from)or is it a seal? The dealer is saying its an over flow or breather , but I can't see one on the mtoor or in my facrory service manual.

Where is the oil showing up? I had problems with the little u-tube vent line. The oil would mist out of there and then show up between the tranny and the primary. Solved it by replacing the vent tube with a piece of tubing routed up over the tranny and down by the small diameter drain line on the right side by the front of the tranny. No more problems.

TQ

I've never gotten a good reading while cold. You'll have some oil in the sump after it sits awhile so that'll throw the reading off.

I can't say for the 07 but if my 03 RK starts out halfway between the marks after sitting all night then it'll be overfull for sure after twenty miles.

I've drained as much as 24-26 ounces out of the sump after sitting overnight.
Some bikes will wet sump more than others but all will do it to some degree.

That's why Harley tells you to start out half a quart down after a change and then only check while fully warmed up . It takes at least ten miles to do this.

Try keeping it just below the full mark after a 15-20 mile ride.

Geno

That sounds like the same problem TQ , thats about where the oil looks like its coming from. Are you saying you lengthened the vent tube and sent over the top to give the oil a chance to run back into the case?

That sounds like the same problem TQ , thats about where the oil looks like its coming from. Are you saying you lengthened the vent tube and sent over the top to give the oil a chance to run back into the case?

Right. I went over to O'Reilly's and bought about 2 feet of black reinforced hose and routed that back over the tranny behind the starter and down the right side of the tranny by the other little hose. Hangs out the bottom of the bike a few inches. If any oil does get that far, it is just gonna be on the road! But I do not see any more oil between the primary and the tranny, and actually there is no oil coming out of the hose either.

TQ

Back