free website stats program 07 fxstc primary oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

07 fxstc primary oil leak

garyp

Hi, anyone had experience of what appears to be oil leaking off the drain plug on the primary. I have recently changed the oil and replaced the o ring on the plug. Tranny oil level is ok with no visible leaks as is engine oil. The oil seems a bit misty up the inner primary. I have no oil on belt or trans pulley.Any help appreciated.

If the "O" ring is OK, I would clean the inner primary area thoroughly and run the engine. Some times the leak is elsewhere but the plug being the lowest point on the primary will show as a leak when it is actually coming from somewhere else and running down.

If the "O" ring is OK, I would clean the inner primary area thoroughly and run the engine. Some times the leak is elsewhere but the plug being the lowest point on the primary will show as a leak when it is actually coming from somewhere else and running down.

too right, inner primary seal will just run down on to drain plug. take a good look up on the inside of the primary housing to make sure its not the seal above, or a starter o ring. main shaft seal will get all over the trans case and pully. but if the o ring gets caught up when installing the drain plug it will tear it out.

07 fxstc inner primary oil leak

Thanks for the previous info. Unfortunately after a good cleaning and replacing the primary o ring it seems that I have oil leaking from an inner oil seal. I ran the bike up for 100 miles or so and have clean oil running from the primary side of the pulley. Any info on a seal replacement- is it fairly straight forward? I have removed the wheel and belt cover and oil is no further up than the pulley. Thanks.

Re: 07 fxstc inner primary oil leak

I have a 2007 FXSTC with the same issue. I can't really see where the leak is comming from but it's on the inside potion of the inner primary cover. Kinda right in front of the final drive pulley on the trans. There seems to be a plug of sorts there that is seems to be seeping oil. My bike only leaks when moving. It wont leak if it sits for a couple of days. has anyone figured this out yet? Thanks.

Had the same issue on my 2000 Ultra. Drops of oil at the primary drain plug. Was actually coming from the seal on the back side of the inner primary. New seal, bearing, and inner race installed. Leak is gone.:)

Back