free website stats program 07 FXST Rear Wheel Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

07 FXST Rear Wheel Removal

Zorrgg

Attempting to remove the rear wheel assembly on my 07 FXST. I've got the belt guards removed, the axle out, the brake caliper assembly on whatever you call that nimrod mounting bar loose, the inside brake pad out of the caliper, but i just cannot seem to get the caliper to swing outward of the bike so I can clear the rim. I've got the bike up and secure, and the rear wheel is loose in all ways except that brake caliper and its mount. Does the caliper need to be removed from the mount it rides on before it can swing outward from the wheel? is it just easier to remove the brake line and re-bleed it when i reinstall than go thru all this? I was planning on putting new pads in there during re-assembly.
This is my first foray in self maintenance on a Harley, i'm no stranger to changing rear wheels or getting them to align. I just can't figure the secret move to make on getting the caliper out of the wheel recess so i can roll the wheel out. Do I need to dismount the brake rotor so that will give more room? And can i pull those brake pad pins out of the caliper without the world coming to a stop? The shop manual warns to loose them, pull them partially out, but do not remove them. Made it sound like I'd loose my first born.
Any help would be appreciated. I'll refrained from using my sledge hammer until after I hear from my Harley brethen, or is an hour of shop time the best spent money on the planet? Thanks. Zorrgg

You are not alone my friend. To be honest the first time I did it I had a real struggle as well. I'm sure there are easy ways to do it but what worked best for me was to remove BOTH pads. I then pushed the caliper forward slightly to push it off the mounting bracket. That seemed to give me enough room to get it over the rotor. No need to disconnect the brake line. Hope this helps.

i've got in inboard pad removed but can't seem to get enough movement on the pins to get the outboard side to fall away. I'm going to remove the brake rotor tonight and see if that gives me enough clearance. I read someone had to do that on their bike to get the wheel off. then reassemble using reverse process. This just sound wrong.
thanks for taking the time to respond.
Zorrgg

Solved my own problem. have to take the rotor off the wheel while it is still in the swingarm. then brake caliper can swing out of the way, and wheel will come out.
I'd sure like to see the method described in the shop manual work this way.
thanks to all those who took the time to offer help. Appreciate it.
Zorrgg

Back