free website stats program 07 FXDB wont start | Harley Davidson Forums

07 FXDB wont start

Gdillon86

I have a 07 street bob and looking for advice. I went to start my bike and it turned over once and all power shut off. When I turn the ignition switch to ignition theres nothing; When turning it to acc the mileage display does shows. I tested the battery and fuses which are all good. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Im hoping not a short...

I know you checked the battery, How exactly did you check the Battery, Sometimes a battery will show good with a hydrometer, But will fail with a load test.. Also you could have a loose connection on the cables.at the battery or where it connects to the starter. . You may have already checks the things I mentioned. But thats my thoughts..

Thanks!!! Used a Multimeter checking for voltage which read 12.5v; I did check the connections which were secure. Do you think it could be the voltage regulator?

Do you have lights , If so . Can you hook up the volt meter and hit the switch and see what the volt meter show's. or if there's a change when you hit the switch.. Have you had any recent repairs done..

No lights, I do know that when I turn the key to ignition the bettery reads in milivolts and when i turn it to off it will go back to reading 12.6v. I checked all connections to ensure they were tight.

Thanks!!! Used a Multimeter checking for voltage which read 12.5v; I did check the connections which were secure. Do you think it could be the voltage regulator?

That's only one thing you should check. You also need to load test your battery to really determine its health:

Harley Davidson Forums

You didn't mention if this is the original battery or not. If it is, you're really pushing your luck with a 6 year old battery. Be thankful it didn't happen far from home.

Your Battery sounds like what i just had for breakfast. Toast!

If all your connections are tight and greased -as suggested by MRSleepy-then(and again as suggested) you need a load test.

If the volts read 12.5 with nothing on,and then drop to millivolts with load applied,something is amiss. 12.5v in a battery will support lights and a horn-ie:they should work.IS it the original battery?

To me it sounds like your battery has internal woes and is Sulphated out.You could have a faulty Voltage Regulator which will give you charging issues,but when a battery registers 12.5v static which then drops to such a low reading when under load,then i'd be getting that load test and shortly thereafter a new battery.

Once you get it started you can check your V.R and charging system.

Most folks don't have a battery load tester. It sounds like Gdillon has just made a makeshift test. By turning on the ignition switch with the lights and everything else, a load was applied. If the battery reads in MILIVOLTS, there is a major problem. Check all of the battery connections both at the battery and at the terminating points. If all are tight and clean, you have a battery problem. Like biscuit stated, once you get it started, you can check the charging system with your volt meter.

Back