free website stats program '07 FXD Dyno run | Harley Davidson Forums

'07 FXD Dyno run

SilverFoXD

Contributor
Had S&S chain driven 510 cams installed after the stock cams showed abnormal wear. Also had replaced the cam bearings with the ones that came with the cam, HD lifters, and HD chain tensioners the indy had on the shelf. Everything was otherwise stock.

Worked OK although rich running error codes showed up.

Just had the Harley Stage I installed at Chandler (AZ) HD; slash down pipes 80678-08, SE A/C kit 29440-99D, and the EFI Super Tuner 32109-08B.

New max HP is 78.88 and Torque is 90.05. Air/Fuel mixture is consistent across all RPMs at 13:1

Of the three sets of lines on Dyno 1, the top one is the new, current figures. The middle line is with the 510 cam only, and the bottom line is stock from the example in the P & A catalog.

Attachments

• Dyno 1.jpg
    Dyno 1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Dyno 2.jpg
    Dyno 2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 34
So it looks like you like this set up, how many miles did your stock set up have?

Good questions.

Had 54k miles at the time of the cam change and the oil generally used was the Spectro semi 20w-50. I bought the Dyna new in August, 2007.

The indy who did the work and I discussed how much longer I would be keeping this bike. The primary reason for being in the shop was to replace the mid controls (splines worn and would not stay tight) with forwards and since it was in anyway, treat ourselves to a set of chrome covers to replace the polished and painted ones. It was while the cam cover was off he noticed the wear.

Installed, they looked streaked and worn, with a coppery color wear pattern. I agreed to replace as I would be keeping the bike another four years and didn't want any problems down the line. The 510s were what he recommended as a slight upgrade to the stock and what seemed to best fit the way I ride.

He also pulled the heads and inspected the valves and cylinders. Both in good shape, even some cross hatching still in the cylinders. Reinstalled with new gaskets, Compression tested to 185 psi in each cylinder.

Once out, the cams didn't look all that bad. Worn some, and I checked with another indy and a dealer and both agreed they were worn but not too badly. Each would have recommended replacing, but would not have insisted. The tensioners were grooved but did not show any wear from the chain centers. He replaced them with new ones he had on the shelf; he often installs gear cam drives and the tensioners that come with the kits were thus superfluous.

I can photo the cams if you wish to see what they look like. I considered replacing the 510s with either stock ones or one of the other cams recommended on this site, but decided to keep what I have. Even with the experienced reduction of mileage, it will be less expensive in the long run to keep what I have than to replace. Besides, I like the added performance and sound.

Mileage is now up at 56.5k miles and we just took a trip 873 mile ride. Averaged 41.96 mpg with a low of 35.35 in mostly city traffic in the San Diego area to 47.58 on a rural two laner. A trip last fall from the Phoenix area to the Seattle area and down the California coast had the Dyna at 49 mpg, as a comparison.

Long term plan is to replace the bike once I turn 70.5 and have to take some IRA money. I'm 66 now (and retired) and have had the Dyna for 4.5 years. Should be somewhere over 100k miles by replacement time. Would prefer to have a tourer for the duration, a Road King perhaps, and I do look around, but have no real incentive now to trade.

Does this answer?

Silver

Here are photos of the cams.

Attachments

• Cam 3.jpg
    Cam 3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Cam 2.jpg
    Cam 2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Cam 1.jpg
    Cam 1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 16
Does this answer?

Absolutely, and then some. When ever I hear of worn metal parts that bath in oil I always wonder which oil was used at the time. Thought maybe you were using syn3.

It sounds like your having just too much fun with that Dyna..:)
Thanks for the pictures.

Back