free website stats program 07 Engine Cuts out for 5 seconds? | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Engine Cuts out for 5 seconds?

Cruiser4

for the third time in 2 months i have experienced a total loss of Engine power which lasts for about 5 seconds. Once when i was coasting down hill and twice whilst cruising at around 60 mph. The first time i didn't have to pull over, it just fired back in because i had the momentum of the down hill. The other two times i had to pull over, but it just fired right up again. I have two codes showing but don't think they're related - P1351, P1354. because the dealer said they're not important and i should just clear them? I have a stage 1 vance & hine big rad and fuel pak fitted since i bought the bike.

I also found the following post on this site which is almost exactly the same scenario as mine, however i didn't see any resolve posted? Any help out there?

Original post by ssk3b on yet another 07 Softail: (Twice now I have been cruising along and I noticed a sudden loss of power and the motor shut down. The first time this happened
I was going 70 mph across a bridge and pulled the clutch in and I drifted to the side of the road and stopped. I had lights but no engine running. I checked all around the bike and only noticed the red oil lamp was lit. I shut it down for a few minutes and it fired backup.

About 5 rides later, the same thing happened, but it only shut off for about 5 seconds - then the bike fired back up without me touching a thing. I took it to the dealer and no codes are showing but they could not duplicate the problem - but they logged it into my file.)

51. P1351 Front Ignition Coil Driver Open/Low
52. P1354 Rear Ignition Coil Driver Open/Low
thats the codes you listed i would think they would be related

Now you mention it, i had a problem starting the bike last week and thought i'd fixed it because i found my fuel pump wasn't priming due to a loose fuse in the socket. I pushed it further in and have had no problems starting throughout a full day's riding today. Just the cutting out.

I also cleared the codes before i went out today but now they're back again?

Did you loose the lights too when this happened? If so I suggest the main breaker is going bad and should be replaced. It could have bad/loose terminals on it also.

No i think my lights stayed on because i remember indicating to pull over and they worked fine.

Also, what do these codes mean if my dealer says they're nothing to worry about?

The coil driver IMO could be the power to the coil. Being it's shutting off I would say you are loosing power to the coil. As far as not worrying about it, ask them exactly what they mean being they work on them every day. The codes come up for a reason.

I've just been to the bike and tried one of Gliders earlier thread suggestions and listened out for the fuel pump priming. The first time i switched the ignition on i couldn't hear anything, so i tried again and could hear the pump prime for about 1 second. I tried turning the ignition off and on (waiting for the alarm beeps first) four more times and got nothing? is that normal now that it's been primed?

Once primed , the pump will not run again till the engine is started in most cases.

What's happening to you could also be a bad plug in the wiring harness, loose or corroded too.

No i think my lights stayed on because i remember indicating to pull over and they worked fine.

Also, what do these codes mean if my dealer says they're nothing to worry about?

I think it means ...time to change dealers....your bike loses power and the codes say a problem with the coil, I think they are very much related.

I think it means ...time to change dealers....your bike loses power and the codes say a problem with the coil, I think they are very much related.
I also think I would take it to someone else. Is your bike Still under warranty?

Back