free website stats program 07 883 sportster HELP | Harley Davidson Forums

07 883 sportster HELP

Vrey

A friend of mine just bought his bike. Has less than 500 miles on it. There is an odd noise coming from the bike at about 30mph in 4th gear is when it can be heard the best. But it does it in third gear as well. The dealer is now telling him that this is normal???? The best way to give you an idea of what the sound is, it is like a heat shield rattle or a low growl. Has anybody else had an odd noise?
We have searched the bike over for any loose covers or shrouds and can not find any thing loose. Letting the bike sit at an idle in neutral you can not duplicate the sound either. I personally am leaning to the transmission, but I am not a mechanic.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Vrey

No. I dont belive he is lugging it at all. 30mph in 4th was the best way to get the dealer to hear it. Typically he would be running a lower gear at that speed.

I believe it quits when the clutch is pulled in. The dealer still has the bike and I am limited on when we can try different things to make the noise and make it quit.

07 883 rubber mount fuel injection

My friend got his bike back over the weekend. All the dealer did was adjust the primary chain. He told me that the noise was not as loud but still there. I guess he will just have to give it some time and see if it gets worse. At least he has warranty until 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back