free website stats program '07 1200 runs rough at low speed | Harley Davidson Forums

'07 1200 runs rough at low speed

r44s

My gal just picked up an '07 1200 EFI with 3800 miles. At low speed or while accelerating engine is very rough. Has Screamin Eagle pipes but no air cleaner mods or anything else. Was told by the dealer remapping wasn't necessary for the change made. Bought with full tank of gas not sure of octane. Will it smooth out with more miles on engine? Am currently looking for stock pipes to replace the Screamin eagles. Thanks

My gal just picked up an '07 1200 EFI with 3800 miles. At low speed or while accelerating engine is very rough. Has Screamin Eagle pipes but no air cleaner mods or anything else. Was told by the dealer remapping wasn't necessary for the change made. Bought with full tank of gas not sure of octane. Will it smooth out with more miles on engine? Am currently looking for stock pipes to replace the Screamin eagles. Thanks

how long has it been sitting , does it do it all the time or when cold , have you checked the plug wires ..... ????

Don't know how long it's been sitting, but the plugs look good. It happens hot or cold. Occurs mostly under load, while at constant speed it's great. Thanks

The SE slipons will give you the feeling of running rougher than normal. I think it's a combination of the bit of extra power and the noise/vibrations from the exhaust. Had them on a bike and they sounded great but the bike was also a bit rough on acceleration.

Just to be sure, make sure all the ignition wires are clean and tight. Change the spark plugs (cheap at less than $5 each and install them using a torque wrench or hand tighten til gasket contacts head and tighten with a wrench 3/4 to full turn to compress gasket (but not much more than that).

Your bike is not that old, and if it was not "-maintenance ignored" just a little routine fluids (100% Synthetic in Engine, 85W Gear oil in the Clutch/Tranny/Chaincase) and general checks like previously noted should bring you back...you may have only picked up some "bad gasoline", so you may want to use 8 ozs of Chemtool or Sea Foam fuel cleaner/additive, fill up with 91 octane from a "busy station (they turn around their gas quickly)" and you probably are good to go.

Last edited:
The EFI bikes run lean. Mine stumbled at low speed. Check for exhaust leaks. Mine was loose were the pipes mount to the cylinders. Torque to 96-120 in/lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the same sort of experience with the wifes 09 XL1200L. Only has 125 miles and did the 30-60-10 breakin. Completely stock. Has intermittent stumble at idle, especially when cold, but feels rough under load up through the gears. Seems to smooth out at cruising speed though. Would love to be armed with some info when dealing wtih the service dept. (under warranty)

I also had this same problem... My bike was completly stock no mods.. This past saturday i got Vance and hines short shots and the SE air cleaner. Harley also flashed my stock computer with a pre set up map... so far so good i put about a 100 miles on it since then. it runs alot better now with the mods actually.

Turns out the bike had been "staged 1" but the chip not remapped. Had that done yesterday and most of the problem went away. I was suprised the dealer didn't notice the mods the first time I went there. In any case it is running much better. Thanks for all the inputs.

Back