free website stats program '06 XL1200 rear cylinder head leak | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 XL1200 rear cylinder head leak

craig Lee

Mz Bling's '06 XL1200 with 49,600 miles has developed some moisture in the rear cylinder head gasket (from what I can tell) Noticed a drop of oil on the primary side on top of primary. Traced the moisture between the cylinder and cylinder head to the carb side which seems to be coming from. Nothing blowing out but just moisture so when bike is sitting, looks like it travels to the primary side.
Question: Is this a yesterday fix or does she have some time?
As always,
Thanks,
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Mz Bling's '06 XL1200 with 49,600 miles has developed some moisture in the rear cylinder head gasket (from what I can tell) Noticed a drop of oil on the primary side on top of primary. Traced the moisture between the cylinder and cylinder head to the carb side which seems to be coming from. Nothing blowing out but just moisture so when bike is sitting, looks like it travels to the primary side.
Question: Is this a yesterday fix or does she have some time?
As always,
Thanks,
Craig

I apologize for the above not being posted in the Sportster section. Couldn't figure out how to delete it or move it. Sorry about that, but hopefully the HD powers can remove this and keep the one posted in the sportster section.
Thank you,
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like only minor seepage...I would wait until you decide to change gaskets and o-rings in the vicinity as it can be a little tricky to get to the fasteners and torque them down a bit. May have to use Glider's trick using shortened allen head wrenches (do not overheat the metal when cutting them down) to get in there. :s

Sounds like a rocker box leak. Follow the manual and you will be fine, use a quality gasket and use the torque sequence, As far as riding it keep an eye on the oil level and MZ BLINGS pants legs for oil stains, Good Luck , Capital Jack:s

As Jack said it is pretty common for rocker box gaskets to leak after a while the biggest worry about a leak like you have is the mess the oil makes the sooner it is sorted the less mess there is

Brian

Thanks guys,
She is about due for her 50,000 mile service and will check this out with the wrenchers.
I was wondering if a little torqueing would tighten it up a bit, thanks. I'll check the manual for that.
Jack, thanks for the info. From looking at the service manual, it looks like the cylinder head gasket is where the moisture is coming from. I'll re-check the rocker box cover.

If the oil leak is coming from below the level of the exhaust port and inlet manifold it will be the head gasket if above it will be one of the rocker gaskets

Brian

If the oil leak is coming from below the level of the exhaust port and inlet manifold it will be the head gasket if above it will be one of the rocker gaskets

Brian

Good point. It is below the exhaust port and leads me to believe the head gasket.

and Jack, we're on our way to church and you know we're always including your lower back in our prayers.
Craig and Mz Bling

Good point. It is below the exhaust port and leads me to believe the head gasket.

and Jack, we're on our way to church and you know we're always including your lower back in our prayers.
Craig and Mz Bling

Thank you, If the head gasket turns out to be the problem might as well do both at the same time, retorquing has never seemed to cure this problem, I have used soft metal head and base gaskets on Sporties with good results, Best of luck, The power of prayer indeed, Capital Jack:s

Thank you, If the head gasket turns out to be the problem might as well do both at the same time, retorquing has never seemed to cure this problem, I have used soft metal head and base gaskets on Sporties with good results, Best of luck, The power of prayer indeed, Capital Jack:s

I have never had to replace any gaskets on my bike yet, just curious are the soft metal gaskets an HD part or aftermarket. Thanks for the info.

Back