free website stats program 06 ultra -oil pump alignment | Harley Davidson Forums

06 ultra -oil pump alignment

greasit

I read that the oil pump had to be aligned or excess oil would come out of the air filter at higher speeds. Does anyone know why, and shouldnt excess oil go over the relief valve back to the pump inlet? I do get oil leaking after a long ride at 65 plus. Thanks in advance for any info.

If the oil pump isn't aligned properly, it can't scavenge the engine sump properly and oil backs up in the sump. The flywheels churning through the oil that shouldn't be there tends to atomize it and this is why it comes out the breathers.

Thanks glider, i understand there isn't an alignment pin between the pump and motor block to keep the holes in line.

Thanks glider, i understand there isn't an alignment pin between the pump and motor block to keep the holes in line.

You can use the alignment pin method (George's Garage has them) or you can just loosen the four oil pump fasteners, put the trans in neutral and turn the backwheel; the pump will self align. I am sure there is information archived on this site with details.

If this is the cause of the problem, you ahould be experiencing a condtion known as "sumping" described in Glider's post. The two most common symptoms of sumping are excessive oil temperatures and sluggish performance. If you are not experiencing these two symptoms, I doubt that oil pump alignment is the cause of the problem.

Sometimes the factory head breathers can't keep up and excessive crankcase pressure builds up and you get oil in the air cleaner. You might consider venting the head breathers to the atmosphere to relieve the pressure. The breathers on both my bikes are vented to the atmosphere and I have never experienced oil "puking" even with one that was sumping badly.

you can just loosen the four oil pump fasteners, put the trans in neutral and turn the backwheel; the pump will self align. I am sure there is information archived on this site with details.

Neutral? Think it would be better in gear to turn the engine over.

Thanks guys, i think i'll vent the breathers to atmosphere and use 5th gear to line up the pump. Two easy fixes. Thanks again for your advice!!

Back