free website stats program 06 Ultra Cruise reaches for the rev limiter ! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Ultra Cruise reaches for the rev limiter !

I am totally unfamiliar with Cruise control on an HD. Just trying to help. Does it have an accelerate button? like a car. If so I wonder if you tried using the accelerate button and hitting the brake to cancel it while using the button. If it cancels, my theory is no good. If it doesn't cancel than I would wonder about corrosion or a bad accelerate button.

I am totally unfamiliar with Cruise control on an HD. Just trying to help. Does it have an accelerate button? like a car. If so I wonder if you tried using the accelerate button and hitting the brake to cancel it while using the button. If it cancels, my theory is no good. If it doesn't cancel than I would wonder about corrosion or a bad accelerate button.

I appreciate any thoughts, thanks. Yes on the right bar there is an accel/decel button ( not what it is called but is what it does). I will try and remember that during the next failure and try it. The problem is intermittent and it kinda catches you off guard and is a bit harrowing because the bike is accelerating and you can do nothing to stop it short of shutting the engine off or pulling the clutch and letting it bounce off the rev limiter.

Scary Indeed!

What stands out to me other than all the deactivate features don't work is that you cannot even turn it off with the switch.

Do you use high pressure when you wash your bike?

Stray dog, no I do not and I am not one who washes a ton anyways, live in MI so short riding season, probably gets a good bath 8 or 9 times a year. I agree, it is bizarre that even the switch on the fairing wont stop it, scared the crap out of me the first time, just one of those emergency situations you are not expecting, now I am ready for it but hate not being able to trust it. I ran the Cruise initialization this morning so I will see if it fails again on next ride. It appears to be so intermittent now going to be tough to troubleshoot. There is a bit of slop in that grip, maybe a 1 or 2 minutes if you think of the grip as a clock face. Better than 250 miles yesterday and not one failure.

On my RK the CC module is located under the left side cover. It has a large plug there which isn't to difficult to access. Maybe take a look see. Moisture in there? Some dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either.

I was thinking like Bodeen, the accel/resume switch shorted or something but why the on/off switch isn't working doesn't make sense.

Anyone else have any ideas or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer?

Put on 250 miles today and used the cruise on and off several times, did not fail at all today...:small3d023:

Sounds like odds are it won't do it for the dealer so they won't be able to troubleshoot. Wouldn't hurt to talk to someone in the service area just to see if they've heard of this before or maybe they can point you in the right direction for more specific troubleshooting.

Are any of the cruise control devices not securely attached to bike and if there are any cables that operate cruise are they not binding up. This would seem that if something is sticking or binding, that shutting down bike could be the only way to disengage cruise.

On my RK the CC module is located under the left side cover. It has a large plug there which isn't to difficult to access. Maybe take a look see. Moisture in there? Some dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either.

I was thinking like Bodeen, the accel/resume switch shorted or something but why the on/off switch isn't working doesn't make sense.

OK good thought, was wondering where the cruise module may be located, will pull the left side cover and see what I can see. Thank you

Back