free website stats program 06 Ultra Cruise reaches for the rev limiter ! | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Ultra Cruise reaches for the rev limiter !

Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join, tons of info here. I have a problem with my 06 Ultra. I noticed it a bit last year but yesterday was the worst yet. I was riding at about 60, set the cruise. I looked down 3 mins later and saw I was at 65 and climbing. I touched the front brake, then the rear, nothing would stop her. So I turned off the cruise from the switch on the fairing, still climbing in speed, now at 76ish in a 55 I shut the bike down and pulled the clutch. I slowed to 50 and restarted the bike with clutch in, engine rpms went for the limiter, yea this is fun. So while it was still running I quickly gave the throttle 2 quick wide open burts and engine speed became normal. This is not a fly by wire bike. I welcome any ideas to diagnose this. My initial thoughts are tps or cruise module itself. I do not want another trip like that scared the crap out of me, happy they have that run switch on the right bar.

Attachments

• command decision thor.jpg
    command decision thor.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 27
Check your roll off switch connections. It is on one of the throttle cables just above your front tank mount bolt on right side. Aside from that, the only thing I know of is the C.C. module and I don't know of any serviceable parts other than checking connections.

I believe the diagnostics that Dr. Dolittle gave were for the engine & ECM. Try this link for the cruise control. I haven't ever heard of your problem the way it was explained. I had trouble on my '96 UC releasing but it didn't try to go to Red Line. Mine ended up being the brake relay. I had checked for brake light when I got back home and didn't have either, front or rear wouldn't activate. Tracked it down to the relay in the fairing. All rusted up inside.
By the way
Welcome from So. Texas.
tourbox

Dr. I will check codes today, Breeze, I noticed one of the cables coming from the throttle is a little loose, will pull that apart today as well and see if that can be tightened from inside the housing and will look for the switch. Tourbox will check for brake light today, never thought of that relay. All good thoughts thank you for the welcome and good tips to start troubleshooting, will post results of what I find tonight.

Dr. I will check codes today, Breeze, I noticed one of the cables coming from the throttle is a little loose, will pull that apart today as well and see if that can be tightened from inside the housing and will look for the switch. Tourbox will check for brake light today, never thought of that relay. All good thoughts thank you for the welcome and good tips to start troubleshooting, will post results of what I find tonight.

Isn't the two wire (cable) (one for Pulling open the other Safety for closing?) Adjustable the old fashioned way with the cable adjuster at the throttle?

OR Is this bike Different?

Need some looseness there for the Bar left to right travel...

I usually adjust the Pull (throttle open) then adjust the other and not too tight there as it is a safety...

signed....BUBBIE

OK brake light comes on with both lever and pedal. NO codes in any module. Bubbie, yes it is a push pull. the rear most ie: closest to rider is loose a tiny bit at the housing. Throttle response is good though and it doesn't seem loose enough to cause any trouble, just the elbow at the housing isn't as tight as the front cable. Rode for 50 or so miles today and had the cruise on the whole time, it never acted up so is intermittent. I just don't want to come into a town or something where you drop from 55 to 30 and it wont respond, thankfully the last failure was open road, takes your brain a couple seconds to react to the failure, well it did mine anyways. Open to any other suggestions. Don't want to just start ordering parts, although I fear it is the cruise module, I am sure thats not cheap, after all it says HD on it. Thanks all.

I believe the diagnostics that Dr. Dolittle gave were for the engine & ECM. Try this link for the cruise control. I haven't ever heard of your problem the way it was explained. I had trouble on my '96 UC releasing but it didn't try to go to Red Line. Mine ended up being the brake relay. I had checked for brake light when I got back home and didn't have either, front or rear wouldn't activate. Tracked it down to the relay in the fairing. All rusted up inside.
By the way
Welcome from So. Texas.
tourbox

tourbox, I don't see a link in your post for the cruise control diags, Am I missing it?

Anyone else have any ideas or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer?

Put on 250 miles today and used the cruise on and off several times, did not fail at all today...:small3d023:

Back