free website stats program 06 road king | Harley Davidson Forums

06 road king

1GTRRPA

HELLO ALL, JUST JOINED THIS FORUM,SEEMS PRETTY AWESOME. HAVE A SMALL QUESTION MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME WITH. I OWN A 06 ROAD KING, HAS 37,000 MI. ON IT. I RIDE IT PRETTY HARD. MY CLUTCH STARTED SLIPPING ON ME COMING HOME FROM A LONG RIDE.I MADE IT HOME IT WASN'T TO THE POINT WHERE I COULDN'T RIDE IT. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER WHERE I'VE BEEN TAKING IT TO FOR 4 YRS.. HE ADJUSTED THE SCREW ON THE CLUTCH PLATE BUT SAID IT WAS ALL THE WAY DOWN. DOES 37,000 MILES SOUND ABOUT RIGHT TO YOU ? I KNOW IT HAS ALOT TO DO WITH THE WAY I RIDE IT ALSO BUT I THINK THATS ABOUT RIGHT TO ME ! I ENDED UP BUYING THE WHOLE UNIT FOR $360.00 HUB,CLUTCH PLATE, EVERYTHING GASKET OIL AND LABOR FOR $440.00 PARTS ALONE WERE $360.00 SO TOLD HIM TO GO FOR IT. WHAT DO YOU THINK ?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP....:newsmile100:

Use lowercase when post a message, TURN OFF your caps lock

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't address your actual question but please turn off your "caps lock" feature. It's considered yelling in the forum world and is actually harder to read, IMHO.

Welcome to HDTimeline!

It bears so much on how you ride and where you ride. 40K miles of city stop and go is Great. 40K miles of long road trips is Terrible. I would never sacrifice using the friction zone for bike control in order to extend clutch life.

Since you purchased an entire new basket, take the old one home with you and tear it apart. That will tell you a lot. Check and see if you actually ran out of pressure plate travel for disc compression, or was it that some friction plates have no material left. I would be curious to know that answer. The education alone is worth something.

It really has alot to do with how you ride. I just changed my clutch plates after 25 years and 81000 miles and the old ones looked fine and worked well. Enjoy the new clutch - Bob

when i had my shovel head i worked on my clutch pretty often deglazing steel plates etc on my 93 90k on it not a prob I'm hoping my new bikes clutch lasts to design & materials must have come a long way...

HELLO ALL, JUST JOINED THIS FORUM,SEEMS PRETTY AWESOME. HAVE A SMALL QUESTION MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME WITH. I OWN A 06 ROAD KING, HAS 37,000 MI. ON IT. I RIDE IT PRETTY HARD.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP....:newsmile100:

Welcome to the BEST! (best had to be in caps!)
If you ever find a few of my old posts, I had used the caps button way too many times and a few is okay when deemed necessary, but then a cap on the first word would do fine by it's self. Even that gets into a bad habit started...

Now imagine me, been-thar-done-that guy, suggesting to watch the caps button..
I can see your Feelings are like mine about finding a Great Site and i used the caps (yelling) button to give it my gusto..

I used the caps because I never had any training on a computer until one day I asked my wife to read back a post I was sending. She Yelled out when she read a cap word, I mean Yelled!... Me being dumb on this subject ask "why are you yelling at me?" she replied, "That is how you wrote it!"......

So you will notice, if you stick around, the caps are off and most members here will read post in lower case and respond to the questions more often..

Clutch,
I had the original clutch in a dyna 2000, last thru 117,000 miles and is still working strong today, for the owner.

The clutch you replaced might of been able to need replacing a few parts and saved you some money.

Not seeing the bike or parts it is had to sit here and judge that.

You did good and now have the new clutch...

If you want to try to make clutch last longer this time around, check to see the recommended oils we use. The "self help" section has many answers for you. suggested to ask here first.

So much difference in opinion on oil here, but the Vast Knowledge by all concerned members will help you to decide and answer, if you have a question!

If you stay here you will learn here. (I think that is why you are here?) members will share their Harley Davidson experiences. Lots of knowledgeable riders and repair people on this forum.

again,Welcome!
bubbie

Sorry guys for the CAPS, I program CNC machines using Mastercam and all the cad-cam program accepts is caps to upload to the machines. G codes wont take lower case and after doing this for 15 yrs. and getting in a chat room I completely forgot about the shouting factor. ( My Bad)..Sorry

So do you think the price was right at $440.00 replacing complete basket including labor? I feel it was fair as I said the labor only came up to $80.00
Thanks for your quick responses, 1gtrrpa:)

That's a Great price. My complete clutch basket, Part Only is $506 MSRP.

If I was you, I would go back and give the guy another $50.!

Back