free website stats program 06' RG Outer Fairing Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

06' RG Outer Fairing Issue

revok1200

Has anyone else experienced the rear of the radio mounting bracket rubbing through the outer fairing?

Somehow, the rear of the bracket has worn two identical slots through the outer fairing. The only thing I can think of is that somehow it was vibrating or riding up and down and over time wore a hole through on the contact points.

Taking it in to see if the extended warranty will cover it?

Joe,

thanks for the link and your remedy.

Unfortunately mine have worn through. Your fix would prevent further damage, but I am going to push the dealer for a new outer fairing under warranty first.

If that doesn't work then I will mod. the bracket. If they do replace the fairing I will mod the bracket after to prevent it from happening again.

Well, the dealer won't cover the damage under the warranty. They state that they can't find anything broken so there is nothing wrong.

I asked if every RG did this, they wouldn't answer.
I asked how should I prevent any more damage, they didn't have an answer.
Then a Mech suggested cutting down the bracket corners (which Redfish-Joe) already told me to do.
I then asked if that would void the warranty? They wouldn't answer.

The dealer in Jacksonville NC has a terrible service department in my oppinion.

I think some of this could be related to an issue I had with them after having a remanufactured motor put in a few months ago. I had them do all the work so it would be covered under a 12 month warranty, and 2 weeks after the motor install the oil pump went out on the new motor.

Why? They never cleaned the old needle bearings out of the oil pan. Everything was covered to get the bike back running by the dealer, but I was not happy to say the least. Their negligence damaged a brand new motor. I demanded that they replace the motor at their expense but they wouldn't, they did give me a five year warranty on the whole bike, now they act like they don't even want my business when I come in and I can imagine that everytime I take the bike in for a problem they will continuously try to find a reason not to honor the warranty.

The nearest dealership that is not owned by this dealer is over an hour away, it is just frustrating.

Are you a member of the Roadglide.org forum? If not you should join it is a RG only forum. There is a member on that forum that is a parts manager at a HD dealer and He can give you a real good price on a brand new painted outer fairing along with most anything else. I just got a new painted outer fairing from him for $460 shipped to my door, it took about 7 weeks to get it but that is normal for ordered painted parts from HD. +1 on cutting the radio bracket.

Are you a member of the Roadglide.org forum? If not you should join it is a RG only forum. There is a member on that forum that is a parts manager at a HD dealer and He can give you a real good price on a brand new painted outer fairing along with most anything else. I just got a new painted outer fairing from him for $460 shipped to my door, it took about 7 weeks to get it but that is normal for ordered painted parts from HD. +1 on cutting the radio bracket.

No I am not a member of the other forum, but will check it out. Thanks for the info. And the mod is already done, I won't have any issues with the bracket again.

Thanks

A cheap fix at this point would be to remove the outer fairing and epoxy it from the inside.Use a small amount of spot putty to fix the imperfection on the outside,then just dab a little touch up paint on the repair.Follow that with a 1200 wet sand,then a rattle can for the clearcoat,follow that with a rubbing compound to finish the blending.Then polish,should be good as new.

A cheap fix at this point would be to remove the outer fairing and epoxy it from the inside.Use a small amount of spot putty to fix the imperfection on the outside,then just dab a little touch up paint on the repair.Follow that with a 1200 wet sand,then a rattle can for the clearcoat,follow that with a rubbing compound to finish the blending.Then polish,should be good as new.

Thanks Steve, I am not good at body work but even if my fix isnt that great looking it will be hid under the windshield anyway.

Back