free website stats program 06 flhti just clicks when i hit start button | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 flhti just clicks when i hit start button

OK here is where I stand right now. Took new battery back to hd dealer to check for load test. Results charge time was 10 minutes voltage tested 12.6, load tested 551 cca, amp hrs tested 0.6, battery is good. Came home took three bolts off solenoid removed plunger inspected contacts and ring on plunger very little wear or corrosion cleaned all with scotchbrite reassembled. Installed battery hit start button motor turned over once then click click click.nothing changed. Dealer wants to install new starter for 500 dollars without even looking for the problem

OK here is where I stand right now. Took new battery back to hd dealer to check for load test. Results charge time was 10 minutes voltage tested 12.6, load tested 551 cca, amp hrs tested 0.6, battery is good. Came home took three bolts off solenoid removed plunger inspected contacts and ring on plunger very little wear or corrosion cleaned all with scotchbrite reassembled. Installed battery hit start button motor turned over once then click click click.nothing changed. Dealer wants to install new starter for 500 dollars without even looking for the problem

I am not sure I buy the load test results. Most new batteries will test 12.9 or so but will drop below 12 under load. However, if you really believe the battery is good then bypass the start circuit.....

put the bike in Neutral....look at the right end of the starter at about 1:00 position....disconnect that small connector...you will see a blade connector on the starter solenoid....take a piece of insulated 12 to 16 guage wire and put the first end on the solenoid power connector and only then place the other end on the big terminal on the starter under the insulated cover (it is the heavy cable that runs directly to the battery)...the motor will turn over if the battery and starter are OK.....Do not turn on the ignition, you are just checking to see if the starter will spin.

what is the model year? 9 times out of 10, the condition you are experiencing is the result of a dying battery, loose or poor connections or cables that are internally damaged.

I am not sure I buy the load test results. Most new batteries will test 12.9 or so but will drop below 12 under load. However, if you really believe the battery is good then bypass the start circuit.....

put the bike in Neutral....look at the right end of the starter at about 1:00 position....disconnect that small connector...you will see a blade connector on the starter solenoid....take a piece of insulated 12 to 16 guage wire and put the first end on the solenoid power connector and only then place the other end on the big terminal on the starter under the insulated cover (it is the heavy cable that runs directly to the battery)...the motor will turn over if the battery and starter are OK.....Do not turn on the ignition, you are just checking to see if the starter will spin.

what is the model year? 9 times out of 10, the condition you are experiencing is the result of a dying battery, loose or poor connections or cables that are internally damaged.
If you can hook up a meter and see what your voltage drop @ the starter is

Did you remove and clean the battery neg cable to frame. If good than it seems like it may be a weak battery.

First let me thank everyone for your input to my problem. Finally took Joel's advice and totally removed neg cable, it looked good but still wire brushed it then applied small amount dielectric grease, reconnected everything hit starter button and BINGO it started right up. Went through the start up procedure about 6 times and it started every time without hesitation. Once again THANK YOU to everyone and enjoy your riding season.

Very good news, thanks for the update.
Exactly! Been keeping an eye on this post and it's always great to find the remedy (especially something as a dirty negative cable) with help from the guru's on this site! (and to think a new starter was almost purchased) Congratulations vince1 and man, ya' gotta' love when something comes together like this!

Back