free website stats program 06 flhti just clicks when i hit start button | Harley Davidson Forums

06 flhti just clicks when i hit start button

vince1

Put the bike away in November for the winter with a battery tender installed. Got the bike out today hit start and all I got was click click. Battery is two years old and checks 12.78 on a volt meter. Went to HD and purchased a new battery installed it, hit start button motor turns over about three times an then click click. Any help is appreciated

Check the voltage on the new battery, with a meter it should read 12,7 volts if fully charged

The other key component is to properly bench test battery with a load test. I have experienced before a green light on battery tender and battery was not good enough to start bike. I would bet that while trying to crank, headlight all but goes out. There is a prescribed method to ready a new battery with charging before installing. You may have a bad battery from dealer.

I put new battery on charger reinstalled back in bike with a 12.9 volt meter reading. Tried restarting click click waited acouple minutes tried again same results waited again 3rd time click click then it started. I let run about 10 min volt meter on bike showed 14.2 while running and battery showed the same. I shut the bike off let it sit about 5 min tried to restart it motor turns over about once and click click. During click click the headlight only dims slightly does not go out

Have you checked your cables at both ends to make sure they are clean and tight?

I put new battery on charger reinstalled back in bike with a 12.9 volt meter reading. Tried restarting click click waited acouple minutes tried again same results waited again 3rd time click click then it started. I let run about 10 min volt meter on bike showed 14.2 while running and battery showed the same. I shut the bike off let it sit about 5 min tried to restart it motor turns over about once and click click. During click click the headlight only dims slightly does not go out
Now it may be time to have battery load tested...............

Sounds like you are not getting full voltage @ the solenoid, remove the cables and clean them and reinstall, check for voltage drop @ the starter

If I understand correcty, 2 batteries doing the same thing, clicking, headlights slightly blink but stay bright while starting the bike.
By now I hope you have cleaned both ends of the positive and negative cables, and made sure that all 4 connections are tight.
Inside the solinoid of the gear reduction starter are 2 contacts and a disc on the plunger. When the 2 contacts wear out it makes a poor connection, leaving you with this clicking symptom.
You can remove the 3 small bolts that hold the cover on to look at the contacts. New are about 1/16 of an inch thick, where they contact the disc on the plunger.
By now with the age of the bike they could be worn down. You will need to remove the starter to replace them, keep the nose of the starter down and the cover of the solinoid up, and off, there is a small ball bearing at the tip of the plunger shaft. Remove the nuts on the side of the solinoid and push the stud in for removal,
There are insulators that need to be on these studs so remember what comes off when comming apart.
After these contacts are out you can pull the plunger out. Take these parts to NAPA or if there is a alternator / starter rebuilder shop close by go there for them.
These srarters are very reliable, the contacts are almost always the problem and are simular to Chrysler starters and we replace the contacts and plunger kits alot. Much cheaper than a new starter

Back