free website stats program '06 FLHRSI advice | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 FLHRSI advice

Motor T

I have a chance to buy a 2006 FLHRSI with 17k miles at a pretty good price. I know nothing about the different models of Road Kings, except what I've read. I think I would prefer a 'standard' Road King (with hard bags etc.). Anyone with knowledge have any advice as to riding 2 up etc. with this model? I think it is a little lower than a standard? Anyway, looking for any information I might need to help make the decision. Thank you all.

I'm stepping into rather unfamiliar water here, but until a Road King owner comes in; I think all RK's have hard bags, the FLHRS is the Custom with leather like (and shaped) covering on the bags. The FLHRC is the Classic, with painted bags.
The frames and engines are the same, just trim differences. I think both have the black wrinkle engine cases and chrome covers. There's no Standard in the RK line, maybe a difference in wheels (spokes vs cast).

Remember that the 06 has some Less Liked engine features. The cam drive chain Shoes verses the Hydraulic tensioner (improvements) on the 07 and up models.

Nothing wrong with the under 07 models in the King but I'd look for a used 09 model FLHR and be HAPPY with it. Yes I have an 09, it has many upgrades and No Cats (unless calif model)

The 09 has a good gearing then the 07/08 and a 6 speed. 06 and before TC motors have the Same Engine bores... 88 = 96 95 = 103...

The difference is they made the newer TC's with a 3/8" longer stroke and moved the wrist pin UP to accommodate the longer stroke.. Stroke from 4" to 4 3/8"...

There are enough differences that I Would SUGGEST Strongly to buy an Low Mile 09...

Not a 07 or 08 or 10, 11, 12,13, 14 but an 09.....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Aside from the points that Bubbie and Breeze make. I see your currently an XL rider. The Road King will be a very different ride for you. IMO it is very comfortable and great for two-up riding. I personally do not care for the leather look bags or the classic bag chrome bars around the bags. If you can get it a a really good price, I wouldnt hesitate. Ask if the cam tensioners have been checked or upgraded to the hydraulic. If not, plan on it.

I only have 3000 miles on my King ....but after riding over 200,000 miles on 7 different Harleys over the years I would have to say the King rides like a Cadillac

2 up on a King will never be a problem, IF you have the right seat for the passenger. My stock seat didn't cut it.

+1 on a totally different ride than the 1200 and check the tensioners.

Good Luck.

I have a 2004 Road King Custom , bike sits 1 inch lower than a standard or a classic. Bags are hard type wrapped in leather. If you can get a good deal I would go for it, also consider the screaming eagle tensioners , cost about $1200.00 to have done at dealer. This bike is different than Road Kings but that is why it appeals to me.

2 up on a King will never be a problem, IF you have the right seat for the passenger. My stock seat didn't cut it.

+1 on a totally different ride than the 1200 and check the tensioners.

Good Luck.

My ol lady loves the ride on the back of the King. Especially after 35,000 miles on the back of my FXDC.

Attachments

• brotherhood poker run 006.jpg
    brotherhood poker run 006.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 13
On my 09 FLHR, I have the 4 way quick attach back rest and tube luggage rack. The travel with 2 up is perfect and Easy. The tall T-bag fits with two up or just me. ALL you could want for ease of Off-On at the motel or campground for the Hardier Riders. (not me) Though I have slept on park table/bench before...:s

Mustang Saddle Seat is a must for us.

The bike was 96" and now is 103" and runs like a Scalded Dog. Thanks to a GOOD tune and tuner. The HD SE Pro off-road.

I can hardly believe 84,000 miles on that bike. 66,000 about when going 103"...
Bought Late in the 09 model year. That bike was the Last New One on the floor when the 2010's came out...As you can tell,,,,,I do ride a little..:p

The normal Maintenance Items replaced. Major problems was the weakened Compensator springs/primary bearing&race all replaced at 55,000 miles other than that,,, Good to go.
I attribute strong tranny to Redline ShockProof, surprisingly DEALER Installed off the show room floor.
Battery after 5 years... AND I Preach at you members about 2/3 yrs old...:28:

Jagg 6 row oil cooler on the left down-tube. Using ALL Redline oil products.... and The Luck of The Draw... :bigsmiley9:

signed....BUBBIE

I GOT ONE......my search is over. 2004 Road King with all the trimmings. Fork lowering kit, tour pack, roller cam (no more nylon tensioners, yaay). 40k miles, but hey, I got it for $8k. I'm thrilled.
Thanks to everyone who offered advise.

Ed Mc

Attachments

• PICT0024.jpg
    PICT0024.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 13
Back