free website stats program 06 ElectricGlide won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

06 ElectricGlide won't start

randybar

had voltage regulator problems, replaced the regulator, started the bike, all looked good, bike ran 5 minutes, shut it down, tried to restart it 3 weeks later, battery was dead, just clicked, charged battery slowly. Now starter cranks over, but bike won't start, just cranks. What could have happened between running fine with new regulator, to a dead battery, to won't start?

had voltage regulator problems, replaced the regulator, started the bike, all looked good, bike ran 5 minutes, shut it down, tried to restart it 3 weeks later, battery was dead, just clicked, charged battery slowly. Now starter cranks over, but bike won't start, just cranks. What could have happened between running fine with new regulator, to a dead battery, to won't start?

Obvious question: got gas, right?

The ONLY thing you have done is change out the VR, right? No other changes (since before it would not start)?

Check your grounds where the VR ties in. Scout around for other ground and make sure all are secure. Better yet, take each loose, wire brush all the mating surfaces and then resecure. You might do this with the battery cables too even though it doesn't sound like the problem. Remember the cables have two ends.

When you first turn on the switch, do you hear the fuel pump charge up the system and then cut off after a few seconds? When you are trying to start the engine, do you have lights and indicators everywhere they are supposed to be? Can you pull the plugs and make sure you are getting spark?

Let us know.

TQ

plenty of gas and you can hear the fuel pump charge the system, lights and everything works.

Sounds like it is out of gas, but that's not it, I did pull/push and check all connections again,
Only changed the VR, bike started, ran it for 5 minutes, shut it down, sure seemed like all was fixed, amp meter ran as if it was charging, because before replacing the VR, it showed no charge. After 3 weeks of not touching it, battery was dead, but it never fully charged from the VR problem. Can there be a fuse or breaker I should check?

You could also pull the negative lead off the battery and connect a 12volt test light in series to the battery and see if you have something draining the battery.

plenty of gas and you can hear the fuel pump charge the system, lights and everything works.

Sounds like it is out of gas, but that's not it, I did pull/push and check all connections again,
Only changed the VR, bike started, ran it for 5 minutes, shut it down, sure seemed like all was fixed, amp meter ran as if it was charging, because before replacing the VR, it showed no charge. After 3 weeks of not touching it, battery was dead, but it never fully charged from the VR problem. Can there be a fuse or breaker I should check?

You had a VR problem , put a new one on , ran it for 5 minutes and then 3 weeks later you tried to start it right ??! Charge your battery up completely before you go any farther looking at what MIGHT be wrong. You can run yourself ragged chasing "electrical ghosts"!

full battery, starter cranks and cranks, good lights and fuel pump runs
any fuses or breakers that I need to know about
if no spark, any idea why? or where to look for that problem?

thanks so far for all of the good ideas

Possibly a bad crank sensor up by the oil filter. Check the spark at the plugs to see if you have any.

Back