free website stats program 06 Dyna will not stay running, fuel problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Dyna will not stay running, fuel problem?

Hotcarl

So I just went through a powder coat process for my dyna. The bike sat for a few months while waiting for everything to be complete and finally reassembled everything. In the process I put all new plugs and filters needed to reassemble the tank. Also, I cleaned the tank very well and flushed fuel throughout before reattaching lines.
I went for the first start up and fuel pump kicked on everything electrical seemed fine, and it started....for about 10 sec and then started starving for fuel and cutting out, however it would then idle back up and run clean for a few seconds before cutting out again, never stalling completely.
Now for the problem I have now. Filled the tank the rest of the way up (only had 1/2 a gallon to start) now I can't keep it running longer than a few seconds.
I know I'm leaving out a few key points, but any help would be appreciated.

Does the fuel pump shut off after turning the switch on, or does it keep running? Sounds like maybe a fuel line leak. Did you replace the fuel lines?

That was going to be my next move. No, bad mistake, I tried to get by without replacing the fuel lines in the tank. In the middle of selling and buying a house and got really crunched for time.
It just seems strange that it ran better with only a half a gallon of gas over filling it almost full. And yeah the fuel pump continues to run, I will take another listen, but it seems to be good. I'm really thinking I have a crack in a fuel line, best place to start right now anyways.

Is there a small vacuum hose you forgot to connect, real small, maybe 1/8" connection right behind the fuel petcock assembly?

Back