free website stats program '06 dyna tssm-electrical/not powering up | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 dyna tssm-electrical/not powering up

haggis

Hi All, I am new to the forum and new to this bike (’06 Dyna Low Rider) and I have a DILEMMA!

I would surely appreciate any advice anyone could offer!!

During an operational check of things on this bike I,...
1. Engaged the fork lock and then went through the other positions of the ignition switch (for the first time).

2. I armed the security system with the Key Fob (for the first time). Then, I had a difficult time disarming the system and tried numerous times. While trying to disarm, with no luck, I proceeded with the basic 8-step Key Fob Assignment. This assignment did not appear to ‘take’ as NO confirmation flashes appeared.

After fiddling with the Key Fob I finally managed to disarm the system and the ‘red flashing key’ on the speedometer disappeared……The bike would not start and there was NO power energizing the ignition, indicator lamps, OFF/RUN switch, lights, etc. (However, when I pushed the reset button on the speedometer the light would come on and show the odometer mileage.)
I tried again to do a Key Fob Assignment (with the red key light OFF), but again it would not take, however, the system will arm and disarm with the FOB.

Thinking that the entire system may need to ‘re-boot’, I then disconnected the battery, cleaned the connections and re-installed the battery,….Still..NADA? (Did this a couple times). Also, when I reconnected the battery, I could hear a very slight, and short duration, sound that mimicked the EFI system or fuel pump, although it was not nearly as loud or as long as when you push the Off/Run switch in prep for starting.

I then tried to do a self diagnostic check, but it appears that power is not reaching there either, as nothing would happen or show on the odometer other than the back-light and mileage for a short duration. (Did this a couple times)

Thinking that it could be a power issue, I removed ALL the caddy fuses and relays (one at a time) and cleaned all the tabs (They REALLY needed it) and blew out the sockets…..Still NADA,..No power to the ignition, indicator lamps, off/run switch, etc.?

It was running fine two days ago before I before messed with the ignition switch positions and the TSSM system and FOB.

I am now wondering if it could be the ignition switch?

TSSM security system?

Or am I missing a ‘step’ here?

(Note: I do not have/know the TSSM personal code and/or whether it was changed from the factory code. The FOB’s work, the brake lights work on ACC only and the battery in the bike is at 12.5 volts)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this!! (The closest dealer is an hour away and I don’t have a trailer!!)

Thanks Breeze, Both fobs work and will arm and dis-arm the system (ie. red key light comes on and goes off), so I assumed that the batteries were good?

Could it still be a Fob battery issue?

Have you tried the relearn in post 3?

Have you tried the relearn in post 3?

Well after a couple of days reading, checking, probing, tinkering and messing around, I’m glad to say that She’s running again (at least for now!). However, I feel I still have issues with either the ignition switch and/or TSSM (I’m leaning toward the ignition switch) and plan to investigate further.

Yesterday, I double checked the fuses, etc. and I disconnected the battery and left it that way all night. This a.m. I re-connected the battery and tried to power-up the ignition,….NADA..(again only had power on the ACC position).

I armed and disarmed the TSSM and then again ran the key through all of the positions of the ignition,….and VOOROOM,…IT’s ALIVE!! (Problem is, I’ve done so many scenarios that I cannot remember if I tried to start it ‘just after I again did the TSSM’,..or was it only after I also ran the ignition switch positions?!),…guess I need to write down step-by-step in the future).

It is apparent and I did note that the ignition switch had been worked on by a previous owner (although no history available).

Anyway, I feel I have a ‘reliability’ issue and will probably start by replacing the ignition switch soon, AND ALSO REMOVE THE KEY FOB FROM THE RING AND LEAVE IT IN THE DRAWER (FOR GOOD)!!

Would still be interested in anyone’s thoughts or similar experiences and THANKS for assistance to date and will update this if things re-occur.

bike would not start and there was NO power energizing the ignition, indicator lamps, OFF/RUN switch, lights, etc.

Regardless of everything else (possible bad FOB, TSSM, FOB assignment etc) the headlight should have came ON.
If the headlight did not come ON when you turned the ignition to ON, I would take a really close look at the ignition switch and the wires feeding it.
The problem will come back sooner or later.
I can upload the schematic if you need it.

Regardless of everything else (possible bad FOB, TSSM, FOB assignment etc) the headlight should have came ON.
If the headlight did not come ON when you turned the ignition to ON, I would take a really close look at the ignition switch and the wires feeding it.
The problem will come back sooner or later.
I can upload the schematic if you need it.

Thanks Hoople! Yes I would appreciate the schematic, as I tend to agree, I think it is in the ignition switch (as there was power in the ACC positon, but not in the run/on position, or head light, etc.). But not being familiar with the way the TSSM reacts, in security mode, I did/do not know what to expect.

I plan on removing the ignition switch soon so as to evaluate it a bit closer and probably replace it. As you say, "The problem will come back sooner or later",... and I would hate to be disabled ON THE ROAD!

Thanks, Again!

The legend for the ignition switch:

Off position= Red (feed) wire connected to nothing
IGN position= Red wire, Redw/Gray wire, Red w/Black wire => all 3 wires tied together
ACC position= Red wire,, Red w/Gray wire => Tied together. Red w/Black wire not connected to anything

Sounds to me like the ignition switch is bad. But the next time the bike fails, see if you have voltage on the "lights" fuse. If you don't, you nailed it.

The attached PDF should get you going. Let us know if you need more info.

Attachments

• Lights.pdf
    66.8 KB · Views: 7
Back