free website stats program 06 Dyna Stator Failure? | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Dyna Stator Failure?

porkchop

I read on another forum about the stators on 06 dyna's were two piece held together with bolts that come apart and cause severe damage. Is this true? I have never heard of this till now. If it does happen what kind of damage are we talking about here?

I read on another forum about the stators on 06 dyna's were two piece held together with bolts that come apart and cause severe damage. Is this true? I have never heard of this till now. If it does happen what kind of damage are we talking about here?

I think the destruction of the stator is normally all that results from this. The windings will grind up and end up circulating with the fluid through the primary, but can be cleaned out normally without any additional problems. The newer (07 and up) Dynas use a one piece welded unit. The one piece is also used for replacement.

I think the destruction of the stator is normally all that results from this. The windings will grind up and end up circulating with the fluid through the primary, but can be cleaned out normally without any additional problems. The newer (07 and up) Dynas use a one piece welded unit. The one piece is also used for replacement.

I have a 07 Dyna. The stator shorted out at 11500 miles. The 07 is a better stator than the previous ones. But they have issues also. As stated aboveabout particles circulating with the primary fluid. That is what happened to mine. Tech at local HD said that was a common ocurance. My question is. If this is a known issue with the stator why doesn't the MOCO do something about it.

If you are worried about your charging system, see here:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

The alternator system on our bikes is in harms way. HD has the stator in a fluid bath that is circulating bits of metal that get attracted by the rotor and often get imbedded in the coil coating. Just a failure waiting to happen!! I have had 3 fry on my UC, and probably more on the '91 Dyna. Just remember, if the alternator shorts it will likely damage the VR too. I have just resorted to changing both out when the stator fries!! Remember to use the new screws to secure the new stator. Otherwise, use Loctite!!

TQ

If you are worried about your charging system, see here:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

The alternator system on our bikes is in harms way. HD has the stator in a fluid bath that is circulating bits of metal that get attracted by the rotor and often get imbedded in the coil coating. Just a failure waiting to happen!! I have had 3 fry on my UC, and probably more on the '91 Dyna. Just remember, if the alternator shorts it will likely damage the VR too. I have just resorted to changing both out when the stator fries!! Remember to use the new screws to secure the new stator. Otherwise, use Loctite!!

TQ
I havnt had any charging issues but i was refering to the coming apart thing with the bolts and beeing two piece. What is the VR?

I havnt had any charging issues but i was refering to the coming apart thing with the bolts and beeing two piece. What is the VR?

As Glider said above.

Also, we strongly recommend that folks get themselves the HD Factory Service Manual for their model and year. Not the knock off manual, but the real deal. There are a number of sources for these, but they are essential for the DIY'ers. The manual will show you that sort of thing (stator configuration).

We have the 2006 Softail HDFS Manual in downloads. I think that should be the B engine, but I bet the alternator is the same. Looking at the drawing on page 482/653 you will see that it looks like one piece. The Dyna MIGHT be different however (doubt it).

http://www.hdtimeline.com/HD-ManualBook/HDTALKING-COM-HD-SOFTAIL-2006-Service-Manual.pdf

TQ

Back