free website stats program 05 Road King FLHRI stumped | Harley Davidson Forums

05 Road King FLHRI stumped

ol55forever

OK my bike is having trouble at higher rpm's on the road. It acts lioke it is not getting any fuel. The dealer said to remove the TFI, which I did, And I replaced filter and both hoses. It seems to run fine under 60mph, lower gears seem to be fine. I've drained the tank 2 times and have found paint from where the pick-up for the fuel pump has resided for the last 35,000 miles cleaned all and put back together and still have the high end stalling. It runs fine untill you get on the road, sometimes rough idle. No engine codes? Also I have 60# fuel pressure.

A few things that might contribute to such an issue would be a very dirty air filter, bad fuel or dirty injectors. Take a look at the A/C and try running some Seafoam or another fuel system cleaner thru her.

Any chance this started after fueling up with some bad fuel?

trouble at higher rpm's on the road. It acts lioke it is not getting any fuel. I replaced filter and both hoses.and still have the high end stalling.

Describe what "high end stalling" is like. If you gave it full throttle at road speed, what happens. Does it just go flat and refuse to gain any more speed? Does the bike surge, do you feel a hard miss, does it cough through the throttle body. If you nail the throttle from a 20 mph roll while in 2nd gear, does it pull hard to the top of 2nd gear near peak RPM. When you say "replaced both hoses & filter" do you mean the fuel filter (inside canister just under canopy) along with both internal tank hoses (convoluted hoses). Does your fuel pump have a suction sock filter also.

How was that 60 PSI reading taken. You have the special HD (or home made) tool/fitting for that test.

Hoople, it goes flat and refuses to gain speed, no coughing or sputtering. When I nail it at 20 or anything above to around 55 it seems fine. I did replace both convoluted hoses and it does have the filter sock. Dealer did the pressure test with their tool. Thanks

Wow, from everything you have described it sure does sound like fuel pump delivery volume. To me it does not sound electrical (coil, wires, plugs, ECM injector duty time etc). Measuring fuel pressure (yours is 60#) is important but a static fuel pump pressure reading tells you nothing about fuel volume or delivery capacity at 60 PSI. Something like a swollen O ring at the quick disconnect under the tank would restrict output flow without changing the static (or idle) fuel pump pressure at all.

I will assume the fuel tank sock is good & clean or was replaced. Fuel pumps are great "fuel pushers" and have very little ability to pull fuel. Any restriction on the suction side would kill its performance on delivery volume.

Another thing to keep in mind... On nearly ALL cages (Ford Chevy), each fuel injector has it's own micro-mini fuel screen right at the input of each injector. It is something that is never mentioned in any service manuals but they do clog and they ARE replaceable. I have never looked at HD injectors closely but I would bet they also have those screens, especially since the injectors are made by Delphi and I know that on Delphi automotive injectors, those screen are in-fact present.

Here is what those injector screens look like. They are easy to purchase and come right out using a sheet metal screw.
Fuel injector screens

Maybe others will chime in with some good suggestions. But based solely on what you said, it sure does sound like fuel delivery volume. I might focus on things like fuel inlet sock, restrictive quick disconnect below tank, micro screens in injectors etc. You never mentioned what the total miles on the bike was so I don't know how much wear & tear is on the fuel pump itself. You used the phase "for the last 35,00 miles" and that kinda hints to me that your bike has 75K or more on the clock. You also did not say if this problem came on suddenly or if it was a long gradual process. That's important to know, because if it was sudden, it probably would not be the injector screens.

Are you sure the tank vent is good and not pinched or restricted. Try running with the cap ajar and see if it still does it.

Manifold Air Pressure sensor is possible. Sticking fuel pressure regulator also possible. I know it measures OK at idle, but that is with low demand. Will pressure bypas actually close off when you need it, passed a certain point?

Enjoy,
Rich P

She has 35,000 miles. It was all of a sudden as to when it started acting up. I filled her up at normal station. I recently replaced handle bars and it was probably 2 tanks of gas later that it started acting up. Dealer said it could not be the pick up sock, for what that's worth, they want me to bring it in. Go figure:)

Back