05 night train engine and electrics cut out

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by steve373, Feb 20, 2011.

1. steve373

steve373 New Member

i start up bike ok ride 200 yards all lights and mileometer go out and engine stops ,i turn off ignition switch ,turn back on bike starts and runs goes another 200 yards and stops again. i have recently fitted an new oddessy battery so that is not a problem anyone else had similar problem

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Recheck the connections on the battery first, check the run/ kill switch and ignition switch

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

And on the battery cables check the ends attatched to the bike as well

Brian

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Is it acting like it is getting no electricity, or no fuel. If fuel (like it is running out of fuel) check this:

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

5. steve373

steve373 New Member

thanks to all problem seems to be totally electrical as instruments go out,mileometer ,warning lights and it restarts if i tun ignition off and back on again but only runs for a short while

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Looking at the age of the bike, the most used electrical item on the bike is the electro-mechanical devices...like the ignition switch. May have contaminants fouling up the contacts inside...

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Does an '05 use Maxi fuses or resettable CB's. If resettable CB's, upgrade them to the proper size Maxi-Fuse.