free website stats program 05 FXDWG oil quantities | Harley Davidson Forums

05 FXDWG oil quantities

Nikko684

I must be missing the thread that states this but I just snooped around for half an hour and can't find it. Harley told me for my bike it's 3 quarts in the engine, and 1 each in the primary and tranny. I put the HD premium full synthetic 20w50 in the engine and HD formula+ in the gearbox and primary. but it seems to make a little more noise than usual. Did they tell me the wrong quantities? engine dipstick shows full, gearbox dipstick shows full, but something tells me the primary is still low. I don't know. My sporty took almost a quart and a half to get the oil to the bottom of the primary chain. since the Dyna's primary is much bigger, how can it possibly be just one quart??? am I missing something?

Oil in the primary should be up to the lower part of the clutch basket
Sporty shares oil between the primary and the gearbox therefore takes a wee bit more than a big twin primary but less than the primary and gearbox combined

Brian

Exactly as stated.

Also, it depends on how you change the oils too. I do know that if you put too much primary oil in, you can have odd clutch issues, and trust me, you don't want that.

No clue what your Dyna is scheduled to hold in the primary but my RK holds one quart FWIW.

Thanks guys for the help. I rode from Fayetteville NC to Orlando FL weekend before last, and I put 3500 miles on her during that one week period. Now I noticed after I changed the fluids (given the amounts the parts rep gave me) That I can hear a strange noise coming from the cam cover. Almost like a squeal and a whirr....which is not normal for my bike. Now I'm hoping it's just because of the type of oil I used, but still, it shouldn't do that, as it wasn't doing that before and it's the same oils it's had.

and thanks to DBMG, I know my primary oil is a bit low. I don't have an owners manual as I bought the bike used and they didn't have one to go with it. That info came in very handy; DBMG, so Thank you. I just want to get it all squared away. She now has 14,200 miles one her. So she is starting to age a bit. Anyway, I'm working on it! Thanks to everyone!

May want to pop that cam chest cover and inspect those cam chain tensioners. You don't want them to grenade on you......

Back